Menu

How do you make Mexican rice in a rice cooker?

Ali in OR

Having company over tomorrow night and will have a Mexi-bar type spread. I personally don't eat Mexican rice so I don't know how to cook it, but want to have it out as an option. Don't need a huge amount. Anyone have a tried and true recipe? Thanks.

I make it two ways...

For cilantro-lime rice, I use the regular rice cooker. First, I dice 1/4 of an onion and throw it in the bottom of my rice cooker with 2-3Tbs of butter. Next, I add 2 cups of washed rice, 3 cups of slightly over salted chicken stock, and about 6-8 sprigs of cilantro, stalks and all. Cook as normal and fluff when cooked. Oh, and don't forget to squeeze on the juice of one lime at the end.

For full-on Mexican restaraunt-style, I prefer the instant pot but a regular rice cooker will do. I dice 1/4 of an onion, a 1/4c chopped jalapeno/green bell pepper or chopped green chilis and 2Tbs oil and sauté. To that, you can add 1/4c frozen corn kernels if you like too. Next, I add my 2c of washed rice, and 3c liquid (I put 1/4c salsa* in my measuring cup, a sazon goya packet, and top off with chicken stock). Set to cook rice and that's it! Fluff when done. 

Of course, add cumin if you like or Gebhardt's chili powder or red chili powder to taste.

*If you don't have salsa, 1Tbs of tomato paste or 1/8c tomato sauce or 1/4c Sofrito will work too.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2

I make it in a rice cooker by 1st sauteing onion, bell pepper, dump that in rice cooker, then add rice, then add my liquid which is diluted enchilada sauce, so for 2 cups rice, I need 4c water in my cooker, so I would use a small can enchilada sauce and add water to make 4 c. Done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I am actually looking at different Mexican or Spanish rice recipes right now. There are so many variations it seems. I usually like the ones that look more yellow (when I eat out at a Mexican restaurant). Last night I made enchiladas and was hoping to throw something together to go with it using stuff I have here at the house. Some recipes call for way more things than others. My Mexican grandmother used to make Spanish rice at home. Hers was the more reddish color.

There really isn't a wrong way/right way. If I'm out of Sofrito (my preferred red sauce for rice) then I might sub tomato sauce and a tsp of vinegar. Whatever I have on hand is what I use. Garlic cloves, sure. A leftover 1/2 of tomato from salads? Toss it in. It's a very flexible dish.

• Like 1

Yellow Rice - I make this with chicken bouillon (or broth if I have it), my favorite kind is the stuff from the Mexican/Ethnic food aisle, not the soup aisle, a tiny bit of shredded dark-meat chicken for additional flavor if I have it, either a diced sweet vidalia onion OR a fair amount of onion powder or dried diced onion if I'm out of fresh, butter, saffron (if I have it), turmeric (more if no saffron), a bit of smoked paprika, and a TON of fresh parsley.

Cilantro Lime Rice - Butter, a small amount of chicken bouillon, parsley, cilantro, squeeze of whole fresh lime or two when cooking is done.

Easy Mexican Rice - Dump half a jar of salsa (preferably fresh with plenty of cilantro) into the rice cooker with the rice.  For days when dinner is late or I'm too busy to chop anything.  If you want you can also add a can or two of canned chopped chicken breast, a can of black beans, a frozen bag of chopped onion and bell pepper mix, and stir in the juice of a fresh lime and top with pre-shredded Mexican cheese blend in at the end for quick a one-dish meal. It'll take longer to set the table than to prepare it.

• Like 1

I combined a few ideas you all shared and used what I had on hand and this recipe actually worked well. My restaurant-rice-loving dd thought it was great and I trust her opinion! It was still a little soupy when the rice cooker was done, but leaving it in on warm for 5 minutes or so and stirring it a bit made it the perfect consistency, as long as I didn't scrape up the slightly burned stuff on the bottom fo the pan!

I slightly toasted 1 cup of rinsed jasmine rice in olive oil with 1/2 tsp cumin on the stove top, then transferred to the rice cooker.
I added 1 cup homemade chicken broth I had on hand and 1 cup homemade salsa I also made for dinner (Pioneer Woman's restaurant style salsa). Then I let the rice cooker do it's thing, stirred when done and shut the lid again, stirred after 5 minutes or so and it was great. Thanks!

• Like 3