Menu

Miniature Schnauzer owners please come in!

StaceyinLA

So I posted about standard poodles, but the other breed of dog I’m interested in is a miniature schnauzer (yes, very different, but I have reasons for liking both). Looking for some owners to share pros and cons to this breed.

I have a few family members who own and have owned mini schnauzers and an aunt who had a standard schnauzer, so I’m familiar with the breed in general, but I’d love some input from owners.

We have a salt and pepper standard schnauzer and she is a wonderful dog. Very smart and loyal to the family. Her only behavior issue is jumping up on people to greet them. I would like to have a mini someday. Grooming is a consideration. My dh grooms ours by hand, she has never been shaved so she still has her natural, wiry coat. But she does not shed. 

The miniature schnauzer we had when I was a teenager was the most wonderful dog ever. The second one my mom had (died a couple of months ago), was the most annoying dog ever. Definitely get one that's bred well. The first was, the second wasn't. They do tend to yap a lot. Also, they seem to like to run out the door every chance they get.

For what it's worth, if you want a high-maintenance dog that is stubborn with unlimited energy, check into wire fox terriers. They have incredible personalities. However, I cannot recommend them. Hah!

We were given one, and had her for three years before we had to move and couldn't take her with us. She was a year old when we got her. Apparently, she was a mix. She looked like a Schnauzer, but her fur was quite soft and silky. She was smart as a whip, and mostly a great little dog. Problems: She was very barky, and nothing I did to try to train her helped. We lived overseas in a neighborhood where people were constantly walking on the street in front of our house, and due to the expense of running the a.c., we kept the doors open. There was a fence and gate, but she was very aware of anybody who walked by, and had to go let them know of her presence. The other thing was that I could not walk her on the leash. She pulled so hard that it hurt my shoulder. Again, I read and read, and tried to implement, but those two issues were never resolved. We had a big yard, so I quit trying to walk her and let her run in the yard, which was usually enough exercise for her because we had two young boys at the time for her to play with. She had a bit of a sensitive stomach, which wasn't helped by the fact that she liked to catch and eat the big (not good for her) toads in our yard. Oh, the horrible breath afterwards! But she learned very quickly not to go in the kitchen (the house was such that she didn't need to) and to wait until I told her she could eat. She was cuddly and snuggly, and I hated to have to leave her behind. She would practically hyperventilate just riding in the car, and there was no way she would have tolerated a flight. We were able to give her to an older couple whose own Schnauzer had disappeared a few weeks earlier, so it worked well to everybody's benefit. I'd love to have another of the mix she was, whatever it was--probably a little poodle? (But I don't think half.) Or let's put it this way--I'd love to have one if I lived in the country where there were not people who walked in the area to get its barking riled up!

Cons or things I didn't anticipate? His fur grows REALLY fast, so to keep him looking tidy I have to groom him more often. He's pretty opinionated. Yes, they do bolt. He'll return when I call, but we never turn our backs if he's not on a line when he's out. He's FAST! He's limited to 14% fat, so I have to be a little cautious when picking foods. Sometimes he'll vomit, especially if he ate the other dog's food. Sometimes I don't know why he vomits. It's not frequent, but I'm just saying this is not a super sturdy dog that eats anything. 

It's hair, not fur, so nominal to no shedding, BUT you have to make the effort to groom. The beard tangles. Ideally, he would have attention every week on that. Many people the beards short as a result. I think they're cute short, but to keep it long and proper (what you do with a well bred dog), yes it's more care. 

He doesn't retrieve. Maybe some people have managed to teach a miniature schnauz to retrieve, but mine doesn't, lol. So we have 20 toys in a bin and we throw them one after another while he runs and jumps and gets silly. Then he's all worn out, because they are not dogs for endurance, lol. So if your expectation is retriever, you might be disappointed. 

Honestly, our dog was from a very good breeder, and he's a perfect gentleman. Like literally, an old man, a perfect gentleman. It's the most hilarious thing. I think the giant Schnauzer would be awesome. I haven't met one, but I'm just saying my dog only bigger would be amazing.

I'm mildly mildly allergic to dogs, and you need to note that the whole hypo-allergenic dog stuff is baloney. It's the dog dander you react to, and the not curly hair/fur on the miniature sch is not going to hold that in. Since you're looking at standard poodles as well, I assume allergies are your reason. So like to me, I can't say this dog is hypoallergenic. I have to run my roomba regularly, and I can't have him in my bedroom. If he sleeps on my bath mat in the master, I have to wash it. I think a bichon or something small with curly fur would be better for the allergies, because it would more naturally hold the dander in. 

If his food makes his skin flake (too high or low in fat, I don't know why, just some brands do), then that makes the allergies worse. This is a dog that, properly groomed, is cut pretty tight. So there's just not a lot there holding the dander in. 

He doesn't follow me around and sit at my feet like the cocker did. I don't know, maybe we didn't bond well? We got him when he was 4 months old, which is a little late. I just think there are differences in personality. I liked that my cocker mix followed me around like a dog (haha), so it was different. I usually keep a dog bed nearby and he goes to that. Even at night in bed, he's not really a cuddler. I've heard some are, but he's not. He'll tolerate you and then he takes over a spot at the foot of the bed where he wants to be. Or maybe I'm defective? LOL

The dog's temperament will be from the parents, if you believe what the breeders say. My dog is a perfect gentleman. He's not really yappy. Now he does bark when he gets excited or people come over, and it's hard to get to calm down. You'll read online about people saying the dog picks you, that breeders need to match you, blah blah. This breeder was like nope, I could put ANY of my dogs in your house and they would be perfect gentlemen. He really is like that. Yeah it was arrogant, but she had bred for temperament and knew what she was giving us. Once he got past the initial puppiness, he was just, well he's never any trouble. He obeys, doesn't chew, doesn't spray, etc. and is just charming and good. He dances on his hind legs for attention. It's pretty funny, lol. 

I don't know if you can spend some time with one. The personality is distinct. If you can spend some time with the breeders male and female dogs, you'll probably know what you think. I found the standard poodles overwhelming. I wasn't used to a big dog, and the breeder was concerned enough she actually gave us our deposit back. That's how we ended up with a little dog, lol. Her point was that if I wasn't used to it, just the scale of everything would be bigger with the big dog. Like a big dog can lick things off your counters. My little dog never does that. My little dog never chews things that aren't his, etc. He's small enough to transport easily or for someone to watch.

The reason we didn't go standard poodle (besides the advice of the breeder, lol) was the risk of volvotus if they miss a meal. Apparently it's a known gig that the standard pools are often bred so narrowly in the chest that they have a HIGH risk of turning if they don't eat. We like to travel, so that was unnecessary risk for us. 

Thanks for the input. I have been around a few mini schnauzers and I’ve liked them all. I haven’t looked at any litters and haven’t tried looking up breeders since I’m not really sure what I want at this point. Like do I even really WANT a dog? I feel like I’m ready, but I’m not 100% positive.

And mainly I’m just looking for something that doesn’t shed; not particularly something hypo-allergenic. It just so happens standard poodles and mini schnauzers are the breeds I prefer (and yeah, I know they are vastly different in so many ways).

Who knows though - I may wind up with a parrot.