Menu

Green tomatoes

I had one for Green Tomato Relish from the Relish mag. It has a sweet chutney flavor to it with a kick of clove.

I also have a wonderful Mystery Fudge cake made with green tomaotes.

I'm afraid I paid for some green tomatoes last year, I love the cake so much.

Any of those interst you?

GREEN TOMATO PICKLES

17 c.(heaping gallon) green tomatoes

6 onions

3 red sweet peppers and 3 green sweet peppers(I usually just use the green ones)

1/2 c. salt(un-iodized)

3 c. vinegar

1 lb. brown sugar

1 1/2 c. white sugar

1 T. whole cloves

1 T. ground mustard

1 t. mustard seed

1 t. celery seed

2 t. mixed pickle spices

(You can use several pieces of hot pepper out of the pickle spices)

Cut tomatoes into cubes, chop onions and peppers. Sprinkle with 1/2 c. salt and let stand overnight. Wash and drain. Mix whole cloves, ground mustard, mustard seed, celery seed, mixed pickle spices and pieces of hot pepper and tie in cheesecloth bag. Add rinsed and drained tomatoes, onions and peppers. Bring vinegar and sugars to a boil, then pour in tomatoes and onions. Simmer until tender, about 1/2-1 hour.

Put into sterilized jars; seal. Process in hot water bath for 3-4 minutes. Great with fish or dried beans or peas

Makes 6-8 pints

My family loves when I make these, and they don't really have to tell me that because they don't last long. I know tomatoes in a muffin sounds terrible, but they are really good. I will try to find the recipe online and post a link.

Here is a link to a recipe that is very cloe to the one I use.

http://www.farmandranchguide.com/articles/2006/10/04/recipes/breads_buns/bread091.txt

Here is another pagew with lots of Green Tomato Bread Recipes. I am thinking about trying one of these today.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,green_tomato_bread,FF.html

Also Friend Green Tomato sandwiches are great.

I actually grew a variety of Tomato this year that stays green because we like so many things with green tomatoes. They were called Germain Green.

Karen

Edited by Mrs. Readsalot

If you have TONS of green tomatoes, and need a recipe to use them up, try Tomato Jam or Jelly. I made jars and jars and jars last year. Now, we're in the middle of packing up the house (and all my recipes are in storage), so I can't find the recipe for you right now, but I'm sure there is one online. I just cored the tomatoes (unless they were cherry or plum tomatoes, of course), blended them up in the blender, and added, of all things, Jello in any flavor(s) you wish. I'm sure you need to add sugar too..... You boiled all this, etc. This is a cheap way to make fake strawberry jam, etc. Or, you can go the old-fashioned route and make REAL tomato jam, jelly, preserving the real taste of tomatoes (in a sweet form). Sounds weird, but tastes prettty good... (I also tried green tomato pie, but that didn't go over so well with the crowd;))

Edited by Medieval Mom

A quick search on the web found this from Cooks.com:

GREEN TOMATO JAM

Printed from COOKS.COM

4 c. ground green tomatoes

4 c. sugar

1 lg. pkg. raspberry Jello

Cook green tomatoes and sugar. When done, add dry Jello. Put in jars and seal. Tastes and looks like raspberry jam.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

it's worth it. :001_smile:

Green Tomato Mincemeat.

We've frozen it in gallon bags in the right quantity for pie fillings, but it has been eaten right out of the bag, too. It's vegetarian and nummy.

There's also a fried green tomato recipe that has you finish them with a little bit of cream in the pan right at the end? Others I tried weren't so nice, but that one was awesome.

I'm sorry I'm no help with recipes (Google is good) -- I don't have my cookbooks.

GREEN TOMATO PICKLES

17 c.(heaping gallon) green tomatoes

6 onions

3 red sweet peppers and 3 green sweet peppers(I usually just use the green ones)

1/2 c. salt(un-iodized)

3 c. vinegar

1 lb. brown sugar

1 1/2 c. white sugar

1 T. whole cloves

1 T. ground mustard

1 t. mustard seed

1 t. celery seed

2 t. mixed pickle spices

(You can use several pieces of hot pepper out of the pickle spices)

Cut tomatoes into cubes, chop onions and peppers. Sprinkle with 1/2 c. salt and let stand overnight. Wash and drain. Mix whole cloves, ground mustard, mustard seed, celery seed, mixed pickle spices and pieces of hot pepper and tie in cheesecloth bag. Add rinsed and drained tomatoes, onions and peppers. Bring vinegar and sugars to a boil, then pour in tomatoes and onions. Simmer until tender, about 1/2-1 hour.

Put into sterilized jars; seal. Process in hot water bath for 3-4 minutes. Great with fish or dried beans or peas

Makes 6-8 pints

Just added it to my recipe file.