Menu

SAT Subject Test - disconnect with SAT score - why?

DS17, who hopes to go to a more selective school, got a 790 on the math section of the SAT (no, his English section is not as high). Great score, but he expected high 700s because he is strong in math. Just saw the SAT Math II subject test score - 650 ? In 2017, that would have been the 31st percentile. Any idea why would they have been so different?? He practiced sample questions, felt he was doing okay, although he never took a full timed test. He is wondering if it is even worthwhile retaking.

29 minutes ago, linders said:

He practiced sample questions, felt he was doing okay, although he never took a full timed test. He is wondering if it is even worthwhile retaking.

Take at least one or two full timed test from the CollegeBoard math subject test book or any other test prep books. Even if your son managed to finish the June 2nd exam, it would still improve accuracy and timing to practice.   It’s worth retaking.

DS12 is my slow test taker.  Had a 650 for SAT Math first time and a 790 second time seven months later. He scored a 750 for SAT Math II in August last year after AoPS intermediate algebra and that puts him at the 60th percentile according to his score report. 

Thanks all. I don't know that the difficulty tripped him up as much as the need to work quickly and accurately. He finished the test and could list the three specific questions he was uncertain how to do (and thus omitted). If he did accurate work, his score should have been higher.

As others have said he needs to practice while being timed.  We used Barron’s prep books whenever possible because they are harder than the actual exam normally.  If they could get a good score on a Barron practice exam and finish on time they were more than ready.  Check your library for prep books, we bought used off amazon for a couple of dollars each.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

May I ask how much statistics was on this test?

I don't know about the June administration of the subject test, but my D had a question on her exam where she had to use the exponential regression equation to arrive at the answer, which would have been an easy problem had she known how to use her calculator.   That is the only stats type of question that she can remember being on the test.

• Like 3