Menu

Australians, help please, homeschooling high school question

What do you need to do to homeschool high school in Australia?  On twitter, I'm in touch with a mom with a 14 year old who reads at a fairly low grade level, most likely dyslexia, very sad at school, only accommodations 10 minutes extra time on test, not remediating him.  

He's ready to give up and school is not going great for him.  I'm thinking she could remediate him with my lessons and use something like Acellus to teach until he's closer to grade level, he currently doesn't read or write well enough to do high school level work.  I'm not even sure she would be open to homeschooling, but he's not really getting anything out of school currently.  

It really depends what state they are in. The HS laws vary by state. Some allow you to pull the kid out of school immediately and figure out your plan, others require a plan to be approved before leaving school. I think all states require students to follow the Australian curriculum. There are many facebook groups where she could get advice - some Australia-wide, some state or region based.

• Like 1

I am in Victoria - possibly the state with the most flexible homeschool regulations. in Victoria you do not need to follow the Aus Curriculum at all. I can only talk about Victoria as that is the only state that I have experience in . You basically need to have an educational plan and  keep some sort of record of learning.  you do not need an official record of a disability -  All schools have to do is demonstrate 12 months of growth by the end of the year - so they cannot make homeschoolers do more than the public schools in this regard. They have just started having a review process but that would only happen every 3 years or so.

I have homeschooled 4 right through high school and am currently doing year 9 with ds 14 ( dyslexic).

I am happy to answer any questions on Vic - But I will not have  much access to a computer for the next 2 days as I am traveling for medical treatment for twin 1

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...