Menu

Need a math recommendation

Math is a struggle for my youngest. She has executive processing issues. But it's been coming along over the years and now she's ready for Algebra. I can't use the programs I have in the past because they just won't work with her. She needs to read the explanations in order to understand. Oral instruction isn't very useful at all so I have found video programs to be pointless, especially if they don't have a full textbook along side. I am capable of teaching the math but I've found that it's most effective if she reads a lesson and does some problems and then I come in and help when I see where her mistakes or misunderstanding are. So far the programs that have worked best for her are R&S Math and Teaching Textbooks. She used TT last year (pre-algebra) but didn't watch the videos. We could continue but I feel like she's capable of more challenge as long as I find the right way to teach her. It's not a matter of her being "bad" at math, but more that she needs to be taught in the way that helps her understand the best. For the summer we are lightly going through Horizons Pre-algebra just to help make sure she doesn't forget and she's doing fine with that but so far it's all material she's learned before. I know they have an Algebra 1 but since that's all they have I'd rather find one path (if possible) and stick with it at least until Pre-Calc. If we have to change for Pre-calc that's fine but I'd rather find something for Alg1, Geo, and Alg2 so each year I'm not trying something new and hoping it isn't a bust. 

Right now my forerunner is Fresh Approach. I like the uncluttered, straightforward layout of the text and the explanations seem clear. But I worry about something I don't know much about. Is it comprehensive enough? Does it cover what we need etc? 

Thoughts? Recommendations? 

Have you looked at the Holt series? I don't know a lot about the ones by Larson, but the ones by Burger are set up to be very student friendly. The beginning of each lesson is set up with 4-5 examples with each example followed by two-four problems for the student to work independently, with answers in the back (and solutions in the solutions manual). The homework assignments are keyed to the examples, the Teacher's One Stop has more resources than you will ever need, and there are videos with the "Thinkwell" teacher if needed, but they aren't necessary to the program. The only con is that the problem sets aren't very exciting.

Foerster is another self study option. Pros- good set up to read and learn in the Algebra 1 text. I've not used the other texts. No Geometry.

• Like 1

I like the Holt series a lot as well (we also used Burger). The Teacher's One Stop was expensive at the time I was looking for it, more than the text and teacher's guide combined, so we gave it a go and never had a problem just using those two books. 

I'm sorry, I know nothing about Fresh Approach, I've never even heard of it. (but see below)

On 6/23/2018 at 9:44 AM, Heather in VA said:

Right now my forerunner is Fresh Approach. I like the uncluttered, straightforward layout of the text and the explanations seem clear. But I worry about something I don't know much about. Is it comprehensive enough? Does it cover what we need etc? 

I was curious, so I took a look at the website. I'm not a math expert, NOT AT ALL, so keep that in mind. 

They say that the author has been a tutor for 15 years, but they don't say she has a math or teaching degree. That would concern me. It doesn't mean she didn't write a great math text, but my skills only take me so far in evaluating math texts, so I I lean toward wanting them to be written by mathematicians, lol. Or at least vetted by them. And maybe this one is, but they sure don't mention it anywhere easily visible. 

The first chapter starts with a pretty long explanation of negative numbers for an algebra 1 book. If memory serves, the first chapter has a lot of review, which makes it hard to judge content. The Holt books also had review, but it came before the chapters started. 

Personally, I'd probably stick with Teaching Textbooks over Fresh Approach. Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), FA is no more challenging that TT and you know that TT works for your dd. Their FAQ is under construction (really, TT?) so I can't figure out who wrote it, but it at least has a track record. And oh, you own some of them, you can check, lol. 

If I moved away from TT, I'd take a long look at Holt. It teaches to the student, and they have some free online resources in case you get stuck. 

• Like 1

Another option to look at is the Smith "Classics" series. No Geometry, but the layout is also student friendly. We used it as our "alternate explanation book". Just Algebra 1 & 2. Memoria Press has tests and teaching videos, books and solutions are in the second-hand marketplace. Memoria Press uses Jurgensen for geometry, and I think they plan to offer Larson for PreCalc. https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/math/

They suggest Algebra 1 & 2 back to back.

• Like 1

Walch Power Basics might be an option. Here is the sample for Algebra 1. The pros are that it is streamlined, written simply and clearly at a grade 4-5 level, with larger print size and clean, uncluttered page layouts, and can be done largely independently. The cons are that it is a remedial program, so not as comprehensive as standard programs. Here's the Cathy Duffy review for more info.

ETA:
Another option might be to go with Lial's Introductory Algebra -- and do it with an online class: WTMer Jann in Texas and My Homeschool Math Class. Many terrific reviews on these boards for Jann's classes -- she is patient and spends extra time with students as needed, and is reasonably priced. Lial's is a very solid textbook and also has a DVD available for extra help. However, I'm looking at the 11th edition, and the layout is *busy*. Perhaps an older edition would be less busy.

ETA #2
I have heard good things about Foerster Algebra 1, and from the limited sample I could see at Rainbow Resource, it is definitely clean and streamlined in layout. However, I don't recommend his Algebra 2 for a student who needs a straight-forward text. We used Foerster's Algebra 2 (not Alg. 1), and it is great for Engineering/STEM-based students because of the high level of problems that are "you figure out how to problem-solve it", but it is not a step-by-step / hold-your-hand kind of program like Teaching Textbooks.

ETA #3
Okay, back again, lol. What about Alpha Omega Life-Pacs? It's a Christian program of 10 units -- each unit is a self-paced workbook & instruction. I'm looking at the sample units for various workbooks, and it is super clean and streamlined in layout. AO Life-Pacs have Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, and Consumer Math for high school.

• Like 1

Thanks Lori for reminding me about Lial's Algebra. I've never used her books but I have a copy of Basic College Math and like the layout. I was able to find one on Amazon, the version they use in Jann's class, for $5.14 which included shipping so I ordered that just to take a look. For that price it will be worth it even if I just use it to supplement something else. I'm going to review these other options as well. Choosing math for this kid drives me crazy. We just don't think the same way. I want to use AOPS LOL. 

• Haha 1

I think you should continue to consider A Fresh Approach because it has a lot of explanation and guided practice. It also has a lot of "this is a mistake people frequently make when they are learning this concept, and here's how to avoid that mistake." It's more rigorous than the first chapter would suggest. As far as what it covers, I've not seen two algebra books that had the same scope and sequence (even if they cover the same topics, it's not in the same order), so I am not sure how to help you with that. I don't necessarily recommend it over another program, but I own it, and it's definitely more meaty than it appears. If you want to PM me with specific questions, I can look in the book for you. My son has used it on and off--he needs things from more than one POV, so we're not going to use any curriculum by itself. 

I will note that there are a few errors in the answers. I have been meaning to add to her errata list (which she sent to me when I asked).

I ordered this reference that has some practice problems, and I thought it was a particularly well-organized book. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1592009425/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Something that might interest you as an activity to solidify concepts for your daughter is to make a math notebooking page as you complete a concept or as a periodic review. I sometimes despair that we left a concept on a negative "we survived it" note, but then we do a notebooking page or some kind of activity I find online, and he's fine. It's like time has to kind of solidify concepts, but if we didn't go back and do those notebooking activities, I think my son would have a bad taste in his mouth about just getting through something. The notebooking lets me get a check on his understanding and shows him that he knows it as well. Then he can use the pages for reference material. An excellent free resources (but it can be hard to track down the printable sometimes) is Math Equals Love blog. Another paid but good resource is Scaffolded Math and Science on TpT. She has individual activities and notebooking pages as well as work to do in pairs or groups (can be good to do with a parent). She also has notebooking stuff and lots of bundled resources. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Heather in VA said:

Also - forgot to ask - does anyone know where I could see samples of the Holt books? 

I think I ended up just ordering a cheap copy. I used it in Geometry and switched to it 12 weeks into the year because what I had wasn't working.

I own probably five Algebra 2 books going into next year, all bought cheaply for evaluation (anyone need an Algebra 2 book, lol?). We opting not to use Foerster for Algebra 2 because I've heard a lot of kids get bogged down with it midway.

• Like 1