Menu

Thank you to all who hleped with my Disney questions and one more...

I've not stayed in the 2 connecting room, but in my research before we went, here's what I found out.

In the two rooms (or a family suite), you get two bathrooms and two rooms. That's nice for overall space.

We opted for POR because of the atmosphere. It is set in such a pretty setting - lots of trees and water. I felt like I was at summer camp. Beautiful. The room wasn't huge, but it was big enough for us. It was also cheaper.

We need to hear all about your decision when you make it!

You have all convinced me to go along with the family and two-year old. My other question is whether to stay in two connecting value rooms or one larger room at the Port Orleans Riverside. Any information about these different options would be helpful. Thanks so much.

They won't guarantee connecting rooms. But with more kids than adults' date=' you are more likely to get them. I agree with Jennifer, the connecting rooms or family suites will give you 2 bathrooms. We stayed in the family suites last time and loved the 2 bathrooms. For your numbers, you can also stay in the cabins. You only have one bathroom, but there is no noise from others. If you go when it's warm enough to swim, you will not like the pool at the cabins with your 2 yo. At least I didn't like it with my then 3 yo. I haven't stayed at Port Orleans since I was pg with my first! But with your age kids, I think you will like the pools better at PO and All Stars than at the cabins. At the cabins, it's *just* a pool. At the others it's themed in some way.

Also, food - AS and PO have "food courts" which are nice. The Cabins have a buffet. It's a very nice buffet and a couple places have called it the best deal on Disney property. You probably get all the same food, but if you're on a dining plan, it's a table service breakfast instead of a counter service breakfast. If you're not a plan, you can't share meals just b/c they are large enough to do so. You still have to pay for each person (except the 2 yo).

I'm coming down on the Cabins. But my kids loved them and have asked to go back and stay there, specifically. The boat ride to Magic Kingdom is wonderful! (Unless you have a child just beginning to potty train and he has to pee [b']now[/b]! but the could happen on a bus as well.) I never had to wait for washer and dryers at the Cabins. They are the only place on site that have a decent grocery. The rest just have a few things. If you want to get groceries, I would plan on Goodings or something off site. But if you're in a pickle and don't have transportation, it is there. They also have other things the other resorts don't have - pony rides, carriage rides, the bar-b-q and Hoop De Doo are both there. We did enjoy our time there!

Places we've stayed: Dixie Landing (15 week pg with dd1), Contemporary (ds was 2), Cabins (ds was 3), All Stars family suites (ds was 6). If you have questions about these resorts, I'd be happy to tell you what I can.

Sorry, can't remember or I missed how many people were traveling....the connecting rooms is touchy and while they try to accomodate everyone, I've heard horror stories about it not working out or it being a HUGE hassle to get it done.

That being said, we're a family of five and we have stayed at Old Key West, Polynesian, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Lodge and we've booked the Beach Club for February...so you can tell we like one room, they're big enough for a family of five and you're not in the room that often...we have better luck staying at resorts that open into a hallway rather than the outdoors...bad asthma and the rooms have less chance of pollen and such that really affect my kids...

Hope this helps you any!

Tara

An added consideration is that we would get 2 of the $200 gift cards because we would be renting 2 rooms. We will most likely not go with the meal plan so they would come in handy. Also with 2 separate reservations, we would be able to purchase the new meal plan which I understand to be slightly less expensive and including 2 counter-service meals and 2 snacks per day. But we could buy it for just one adult and 2 kids, leaving us more flexibility with meals.

But yet, I am nervous about the atmosphere in the value resorts. Did the Port Orleans come with a mini-fridge? I am not sure if you have to pay extra for them in the value resorts. I still have some research to do!

An added consideration is that we would get 2 of the $200 gift cards because we would be renting 2 rooms. We will most likely not go with the meal plan so they would come in handy. Also with 2 separate reservations' date=' we would be able to purchase the new meal plan which I understand to be slightly less expensive and including 2 counter-service meals and 2 snacks per day. But we could buy it for just one adult and 2 kids, leaving us more flexibility with meals.

But yet, I am nervous about the atmosphere in the value resorts. Did the Port Orleans come with a mini-fridge? I am not sure if you have to pay extra for them in the value resorts. I still have some research to do![/quote']

I hadn't heard about that meal plan. That sounds really nice for a family with a small child who has a hard time sitting through sit down meals. (But, I still like me sit down meals there!)

PO does come with a mini-fridge. I can't speak to the atmosphere at the value resorts. We haven't stayed there yet. But, that $200/reservation sure is a good deal!!

I think it is $29.99 per adult and $8.99 per child. I still have to find out for sure if I can just buy it for the occupants of just one room and not for all of us. The meal plan for everyone and $400 in gift cards might be overkill. We are not much into souvenirs.

I will have to look into the value resorts more. I have heard a lot that the Port Orleans Riverside is really great. I am a little nervous about the other ones.

An added consideration is that we would get 2 of the $200 gift cards because we would be renting 2 rooms. We will most likely not go with the meal plan so they would come in handy. Also with 2 separate reservations' date=' we would be able to purchase the new meal plan which I understand to be slightly less expensive and including 2 counter-service meals and 2 snacks per day. But we could buy it for just one adult and 2 kids, leaving us more flexibility with meals.

But yet, I am nervous about the atmosphere in the value resorts. Did the Port Orleans come with a mini-fridge? I am not sure if you have to pay extra for them in the value resorts. I still have some research to do![/quote']

Just bear in mind that you will only get 2 gift cards if they are two separate reservations. It's one gc per reservation during the gc promo dates.

We're DVC members and stay at those resorts so I can't offer input on the others except to say that you'll find a wealth of info on the disboards.

Have fun planning your trip! We'll be there in January with my parents - can't wait!

You are not guaranteed connecting rooms, Disney tries to fulfill requests, but they can't always do it. I don't know when you're planning on going, but POR has a better pool than the values and better food options. Also there are other fun activities - carriage rides, boats and bikes to rent, boat ride to Downtown Disney and more.

I think it is $29.99 per adult and $8.99 per child. I still have to find out for sure if I can just buy it for the occupants of just one room and not for all of us. The meal plan for everyone and $400 in gift cards might be overkill. We are not much into souvenirs.

I will have to look into the value resorts more. I have heard a lot that the Port Orleans Riverside is really great. I am a little nervous about the other ones.

The $29.99 plan is just for counter service, no sit down meals (you may already know that, but I thought I'd mention it.) If you have one reservation and you purchase a package everyone must have the same meal plan and park tickets.

That being said, we're a family of five and we have stayed at Old Key West, Polynesian, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Lodge and we've booked the Beach Club for February...so you can tell we like one room, they're big enough for a family of five and you're not in the room that often...we have better luck staying at resorts that open into a hallway rather than the outdoors...bad asthma and the rooms have less chance of pollen and such that really affect my kids...

Tara, we just got back from staying at the Beach Club and it was fantastic. It has the best pool! The service was also incredible and it was so much quieter than the first night that we had to spend at All Star Music since Beach Club was booked for that night. Of course it was our first trip to Disney so I have nothing else to compare it too, but I can't imagine wanting to stay anywhere else after going there. The convenience to Epcot and Hollywood was great too. Hope you enjoy it.

The meal plan for everyone and $400 in gift cards might be overkill. We are not much into souvenirs.

:lol::lol::lol:

Clearly you haven't been to Disney before. Don't you know there's something in the water there that makes you WANT to buy their stuff? You'll start off the trip thinking, "Who buys this junk?" And by the end, you'll catch your self saying, "Boy, wouldn't some Mickey-shaped ice cubes be just the thing to cool our drinks this summer?"

You'll see.

Terri

Clearly you haven't been to Disney before. Don't you know there's something in the water there that makes you WANT to buy their stuff? You'll start off the trip thinking, "Who buys this junk?" And by the end, you'll catch your self saying, "Boy, wouldn't some Mickey-shaped ice cubes be just the thing to cool our drinks this summer?"

Besides that, just about every ride empties into a gift shop themed to that ride. So going on the Pooh ride will dump you into a Pooh gift shop. There is no way not to go through the shop. The kids will be clamoring for something. Now me, I love Pooh so it's not a problem for me to buy Pooh earrings as I go through that shop. :D Some shops are easier to get through than others. My kids don't pay much attention at all to the Test Track gift shop - because it's big and there is lots of room. But the Pooh shop is small and close and one family makes the place seem full.

We ended up making reservations at the Port Orleans Riverside Jan.27-March 3. I am somewhat nervous about it. I went when I was little, and my husband has never been there. It is more than we have ever spent on a vacation. Plus it all seems like so much work to plan out the days. It didn't help that my sister was telling me right after we made the reservations how she couldn't understand why anyone would ever want to go there (I guess it wasn't her thing) and especially with a baby! Oh well.

I would really appreciate any tips on where to eat good counter service food. We most likely won't be getting the meal plan. We haven't decided for sure, but I kind of doubt it. I am still trying to figure that one out.

Thanks again for all your help.

We ended up making reservations at the Port Orleans Riverside Jan.27-March 3. I am somewhat nervous about it. I went when I was little' date=' and my husband has never been there. It is more than we have ever spent on a vacation. Plus it all seems like so much work to plan out the days. It didn't help that my sister was telling me right after we made the reservations how she couldn't understand why anyone would ever want to go there (I guess it wasn't her thing) and especially with a baby! Oh well.

I would really appreciate any tips on where to eat good counter service food. We most likely won't be getting the meal plan. We haven't decided for sure, but I kind of doubt it. I am still trying to figure that one out.

Thanks again for all your help.[/quote']

I think you need to check your dates. ;) Either that or, you know if you are going for month (!), you are going to spend a lot of money! I'm thinking this was a typo.

Anyway, check out allearsnet.com. She has all the menus on the site under dining. Then you can see what each has and compare that to what you like to eat. I also think she has prices on there so you can see if the dining plan would save you money.

If I remember correctly, you aren't going with a baby! He (she?) is 2! There is a big difference. I also don't remember if you ever said if you are driving or flying. Make sure you have a stroller for him. The ones you rent are hard plastic, but they get the job done. Bring something from home that you can tie to the stroller so you can find it, Disney personnel will move it while you are on a ride. Be prepared to go back to the room for naps. The other kids can either come back or stay in the park with dh. You will all be slightly better off with the mid afternoon break. Allearsnet.com also has more information on traveling with a stroller age child. (Love that site. Can you tell?)

I love Disney! Hope you all have a good time!

I don't know why. Anyway, yes, we are going for one week. Jan. 27-Feb 3. We will actually be there for my dd's b-day (she is turning 10). The little one (she) is just two.

I will spend some time checking the menus. I have done a little of that, but so far, I have mostly been concentrating on dates, hotels, flights, etc. Now I can look into the stuff at the actual parks.

:lol::lol::lol:

You'll see.

Terri

We just got back yesterday from a week-long trip to WDW. Our total non-food purchases (for a family of six): shirt with Chinese dragon from China in Epcot, three swords from Pirates of the Caribbean, small stuffed Donald Duck, Donald Duck Pez dispenser (this was purchased to keep 3yo occupied while everyone else rode Tower of Terror), a Tower of Terror shirt, and a Mickey Mouse key chain (bought by a child who is years away from having keys:lol:).

We're just not shoppers. We probably would have spent slightly more time shopping in Epcot if we didn't have a grabby 3yo. My oldest wanted something from Japan and came home with nothing. DH and I bought nothing for ourselves.

*cough* Except snacks. Gotta eat your way around the world, after all.:D

We ended up making reservations at the Port Orleans Riverside Jan.27-March 3. I am somewhat nervous about it. I went when I was little' date=' and my husband has never been there. It is more than we have ever spent on a vacation. Plus it all seems like so much work to plan out the days. It didn't help that my sister was telling me right after we made the reservations how she couldn't understand why anyone would ever want to go there (I guess it wasn't her thing) and especially with a baby! Oh well.

Thanks again for all your help.[/quote']

Ignore your sister. :D

We've been three times in the last seven years. The first trip, we had a son turning six that week and twins just six weeks shy of two. The second trip we had an 11-year-old son, twins turning 7 the week of our trip, and a 13-month-old. This last trip (just got back), we had a 13-year-old, almost-9-year-old twins, and a just-turned-3-year-old.

We did decide that we will probably wait 4-5 years before going back.:lol:

We actually didn't eat in the parks as much this time, other than Epcot. (We were staying off-site and have the world's pickiest eater in our youngest, so we often picked up stuff on our way back to the condo.)

On past trips, we liked Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kingdom, and were sorry we didn't eat there this time.

In Magic Kingdom, we ate at Pecos Bill's for the first time. It was so-so. The ice-cream place on the corner of Main Street has *huge* Eddy's ice cream cones.

At Epcot, we love schoolbread from Norway, and anything from the boulangerie in France. (The Napoleans are especially yummy.) We also like the counter service food in Morocco. The counter service in Mexico is so-so, but the Japanese counter service is good.

I've done Disney multiple times, multiple ways. Personally, unless I'm getting the meal plan, I won't stay at a Disney resort. Why? It's multiples more expensive than staying offsite. And while there are EMH, you don't acutally want to go to the park that has EMH b/c it's so much busier (all explained beautifully in the Unofficial Guide to WDW, which I strongly recomend getting).

We get rooms on hotwire, hotels.com, priceline etc for around $90/night. Similar rooms would be in the $225/night range at Disney.

I don't use Disney trasnportation to and from resorts b/c

1)it's slow

2)it doesn't start early enough to make the best of the critical morning hours

3)it's *awful* at night when you're trying to get out

So even when staying at Disney resorts, I drive to the parks (thought parking is free when you're staying at a resort...and $9 or $10 when coming in from offsite). Once you pay for the day, you're set - ie if you leave and return or leave for another park, you don't have to pay again.

We bring food in a cooler and it's always been fine. There are a few exceptions. We do one character meal. There are a few places where we always get snacks (dole whip...fronteirland iirc), and we eat a bunch in world showcase at epcot (norway, morocco are our faves but norway is ung-dly expensive).

I follow the touring plans from UGTWDW....arriving at the parks very early to make the best of the time when there is minimal crowding. It's made all the difference. While my SIL and her family complained about not getting to experience enough attractions and having to wait so long, we experienced every attraction we wanted to experience, and many of them multiple times. I had the fast pass thing figured out to a T....so much so that I have saved and used fast passes from previous *years*. I stack up fast passes and use them throughout the day. When you fully understand how it works, it works much better;)

All the best,

K

Counter service (in fact all food options) are wonderfully detailed in the UGTWDW. I take my copy to the park with me after clearly tabbing all the pages with post it 'tabs' that I label index style. I don't tend to be that organized about most things but I knew this level of organization would make our park time much more efficient and enjoyable.

My dh thought I was *insane* until after our first day in the parks. Then after listening to SIL's experience and reminiscing on ours, he was totally on board. Nary a word from him about getting up at o'darkthirty or carring around the ugtwdw or following touring plans. He now sings the praises of the planning;p