Menu

If you or your SO travel for work and aren't salaried

Loowit

I was wondering what was considered normal for pay for travel as far as work time.  When DH was salaried at a former job it didn't really matter because he made the same no matter how many hours he worked.  But now he is working a job that he is paid a somewhat complicated type of commission so it affects his paychecks when he travels.  When he first took the job several years ago his travel when he had to drive was covered at his regular hourly commission, but if he was flying it was half time while on the plane because his boss figured he could work most of that time while flying.

Recently there have been some policy changes and all travel time, except emergency travel, is only paid at half rate.  He is losing money by traveling but he doesn't get a choice on whether or not to travel.  He has a two day trip coming up next month that will cost him a minimum of 7 work hours.

When my husband was hourly he got paid his regular wage during actual travel time, but not time and a half when the travel put him over his 40 hours, which it always did. His time was billable though so it was passed onto the client at a rate significantly higher than my husband was ever paid.

Now he's a project manager and works on a salary. His employees that travel are generally paid a per diem and only get hourly pay while on the job site. The per diem is quite a bit (and tax free) but it’s supposed to pay for food and hotel. 

Thanks for the replies.  His travel is paid for as in plane tickets, meals, etc. and he has a company card to use. He does get reimbursed for mileage if he has to drive which is nice.  But it is hard when he is gone from home for days at he loses hours.  Fortunately he doesn't have to travel near as much now as he did, but I think he may be starting to polish up his resume.  This is just one of a list of changes to policy he isn't all that thrilled about.

• Like 1