Menu

Must read books for SOTW 1

Bpoll

Hello, I’ve gleaned the info I’ve needed from the forum for years but never posted. I can’t find what I need now because the search isn’t working well with the switch to new system. 

Anyway, I’m a military mom without a great library system here ? I’m starting SOTW 1 next year and want to buy the best books we need. The activity guide has so many which was great when I did it with a library but now I need to whittle it down. I have 6, 9, and 11 yr old. The 11 yr old reads great but tends to stick with fantasy so I need some really great books to convince her there are other books worth reading. I’m interested in reccomendations for my other 2 also. Thanks!

Not sure what the AG recommends, but for ancients we liked:

• Mary Pope Osborne Tales From the Odyssey books
  • D'Aulaire's Greek Myths
  • The Bronze Bow (Christian book)
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science
  • Elizabeth Mann books (The Roman Colosseum, The Parthenon, The Great Pyramid)
  • David Macaulay: Pyramid, City, Motel of the Mysteries
  • The Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt

You might want to invest in a good atlas and history encyclopedia as well. 

• Like 4

We're in the same boat - a small library and unpredictable inter-library loan service. These are books we've purchased and have been a success for my older kids and that I plan for my younger ones to read as well.

For my 5th grader for Ancients we are reading: Gilgamesh the Hero, Tales of Ancient Egypt, D'Aulaire's Greek Myths, In Search of a Homeland, Aesop's Fables, Hittite Warrior, Children's Homer, The Bronze Bow, Well of Sacrifice, Magical Monkey King, Twenty Jakata Tales

For my 1st grader same time period: Bible story book, Five Chinese Brothers, The Trojan Horse, Stone Soup, The Librarian Who Measured the Earth, Cleopatra, Pompeii ... Buried Alive, You Wouldn't Want to Work on the Great Wall of China, The Corn Grows Ripe

Some of the 5th grader's books will be read alouds that the 1st grader listens to, too.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, smarson said:

These are great suggestions!   I really liked Boy of the Pyramids for this time period too. ?

Funny aside but my 3 kids clapped at the end of Boy of the Pyramid because they were so into it. They literally argued over who would get the copy for their own children someday. So yep, that one is a must for the 6-9 crowd for sure ?

Black Ships Before Troy, Tales from the Odyssey, Theseus and the Minotaur, any of the "You Wouldn't Want to Be...." books, The Gilgamesh series, D'Aulaires Greek Myths...these have all been hits here along with many others mentioned above. 

?

You've gotten good suggestions for readers/read alouds.  Your oldest might really enjoy the You Wouldn't Want To Be.../Danger Zone.. series, but the newspaper books are a hit here, too. 
Some of our favorite books are not readers.  We have the Ology series (Egyptology, Mythology), a 3d fold out of Ancient Rome, and Artistic Pursuits K-3 book 1, which focuses on art projects from ancient times for the last half the book (and even your oldest would love several of the projects).