Menu

Help with Math!!! Please!!!

I have tried several math programs. We started with Singapore (and maybe we should have stuck with it). My daughter seems to have issues with abstract thinking. She is currently 10 and going into 5th. She was doing CLE a year behind until it just got to be too much. Too much drill and kill. It was taking forever and induced tears daily. I couldn’t do it. In Feb, I bought MLFLE for her to work through. She has about 10 lessons (weeks) worth of material to finish up any new information. I’m seriously worried that it won’t be enough. I think if we use Principles of Mathematics it would be plenty, but I just don’t know. I’m not sure where to look from here. She does well with MLFLE. For the first time, math is not a fight. I see so many people saying it’s not enough though. I’m so worried that I’m messing her up in math. My youngest is also using it about a grade ahead. She is finishing 2nd and about halfway through level 3. What should we do? Stick with MLFLE? I’m not sure going back to CLE or Singapore is a good idea. This homeschooling thing is hard guys. 

Some more info-My 10 year old is very literal. Things have to be black and white in approach. She doesn’t do welll with the way conceptual programs teach for the most part. I guess we could always try again, but I’m afraid we will lose more ground at this point.

We used MLFLE for 6th and my daughter is not prepared for any 7th grade math program except Principals.  What I am seeing is that all the 7th grade programs are pre-algebra that assume some knowledge of simplifying equations, order of operations, solving for y, etc.  MLFLE does about 2 pages of that at the very end of the book and it is not enough to prepare them to go into a full pre-algebra program. If you use it a year ahead, do Level 6 in 5th grade and another 6th grade program in 6th grade, you will have lots of options for 7th and up. I will say that I have loved the review this year. There has been consistent review of operations with fractions, long division, multi digit multiplication, and converting a number between fraction/decimal/percent form.  She is good at those skills, but lacking in other areas she has not been exposed to. I don't like Principals and I am frustrated that it's the only program that is not "6th" grade level that I can put her in, especially after she had a successful math year. 

If you like the series you are in and finish through the 6th level, you could look at Basic College Mathematics. I think it's a great overall math skills book. It's what Jann in TX uses with her courses online here.  

There are good examples, and the student solutions manual has detailed solutions. Here's the textbook, and here's the solutions manual

I have mine loaned out to one of the student's I'm tutoring, but she will be here tomorrow. If you would like for me to take some pictures and email you, I'd be glad to do so. Just message me your email address. 

• Like 2

We floundered a lot with math (Horizons, CLE, Singapore...). We’ve finally settled with BJU Math. Their 7th grade option is “Fundamentals of Math” - not Algebra, yet. I’ve heard it’s a great course to prepare for upper levels. We are currently finishing 4th grade. This year I started doing the distance learning option as well. I originally bought the textbook kit, and I added the distance learning option when the had their sale for $99. If you’re interested in BJU Math, contact a local BJU rep. They can get you up to 25% off. Distance learning has also made a huge difference in how my daughter looks at math lessons. I didn’t like being removed from the daily lessons, but I’m glad I did it. She still comes to me to review or additional questions and explanations. Best homeschool decision we’ve made! 

https://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/product/264945

• Like 2

Maybe you could leave her in MLFLE since she is learning and feeling happy and confident.  Add a daily practice at a separate time.  Maybe something like Evan moor daily common core math, a quick spiral review of everything.  Splitting math into two separate lessons/books might make it less onerous.  You could also use cle or Saxon, but do only half a lesson each day for 360 days per year.

• 1 month later...