Menu

Help!! How to clean indoor concrete foundation with pet odor?

TravelingChris

I was pretty sure this was going to be the problem when we pulled up our carpet, padding, etc, from a certain piece of our downstairs storm shelter/extra bathroom area but I am now tasked with cleaning the probably up to 50-year-old pet stains and sewer overflows.   I looked on Amazon and they have some kind of product for use in kennels, etc. but I am not sure this is okay to use indoors with no window close by,  I can open up large sliding door and also I guess prop open the door, but I really do not know what to use.  Can I use enzyme stuff because those things say to use on sealed floors and I have no idea if the foundational concrete was sealed or not and no idea how to tell either.

If you can find the manufacturer of the kennel cleaner you can probably email them and ask if it's safe to use with little ventilation. I'd probably take a chance on an enzyme cleaner. I've used them (mostly Nature's Miracle and Petzyme) on various surfaces over the years and never known them to do any harm. I don't know, but my guess is with a non-sealed floor the danger would be in the exposure to the moisture. Is that a problem with concrete as long as you let it dry very, very well before putting down new flooring? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know for sure.  If it were me and I were planning on putting down new flooring I'd also consider painting the floor first with an odor blocking primer or sealant.