Menu

Formal English curriculum or not?

As I am obsessing over curricular choices for next year (10th and 8th graders), I am vacillating between buying a formal curriculum, using individual literature guides, or just have them read (keep a commonplace bookj discuss, and write.  We will work on timed essays either way. 

Any words of wisdom as to how to decide? Thanks

Well, here are some things to consider based on my own experience: Do your kids do well with literature guides (any previous experience with them)? Can your kids write from a prompt about a random topic in a writing program? Are you comfortable with instructing them in writing without a program?

Some of these things I didn't know ahead of time and had to learn by experience when we tried high school English programs. I had to eventually go without formal curriculum because that is just how my kid works best. Sometimes you just don't know until you try.

• Like 1

I never used a formal English curriculum with either of my kids. They contain way too much busywork for my taste - I don't want comprehension questions or vocab exercises. (I had tried the much praised Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings, and was very disappointed by the volume of unnecessary busywork; we abandoned it very quickly)

We read literature, talked about it, wrote about it. I read their essays, gave feedback, they revised. Rinse and repeat. They picked the topics about which they wanted to write. I think it is much easier to learn to write well when you write about a topic that interests you; once you can write, you can also write on prompts that don't interest you.

Worked fine. 

• Like 2

My daughters hated literature guides so much in the middle grades that they wouldn't just avoid the literature guides, they'd avoid the reading.   Without lit guides, they're almost voracious readers.

When I do get a guide (or search the internet for pointers), it's for myself on titles I'm not familiar with so I can bring up points of discussion.  For us, it helps that they pretty much read the same things, and often have another friend or two for an informal book club.

Next year will be pretty Lit-heavy, but I'm leaning hard on stuff I've already read!

• Like 2

We didn't want to go with a lit guide approach for the reasons mentioned above. But I needed a little more handholding than just handing them some books and telling them to read them :) so we mix and matched EiL units based on what we wanted to read. It was just the right mix of structure (providing context resources for each author/work and providing writing prompts) and freedom to read and discuss for us.

• Like 1

Thank you.... I have used quite a few writing programs. And literature programs. But I always feel stifled. And tweak them, a lot.  We use literature guides orally.  When we read and discuss I feel like they get so much more out of it. And are able to write better because of it. 

But my son likes video lessons...... he likes to replay them while working on an assignment. He wants to do Byline.... which is mostly history based apparently.  He loves history.  He reads slowly. I guess it’s me who wants more freedom...... and he is going into tenth grade.... next year he will decide if he wants to dual enroll or not.... so I want him ready, just in case.  

My younger DD reads quickly, too quickly... and reads a lot. But she likes creating her own projects.