Menu

Have we talked about air fryers?

Greta

I am not at home now, so I can't post the brand, but we got one deeply discounted b/c the box was torn up. I like it fine, but don't keep out so I don't use it as much as I'd like to.

OP, do you prefer a separate thread for recipes/things to make in an air fryer?  I don't want to hijack your thread.

I have mostly made sweet potato french fries (store bought, frozen) and kale chips in ours.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angie in VA said:

I am not at home now, so I can't post the brand, but we got one deeply discounted b/c the box was torn up. I like it fine, but don't keep out so I don't use it as much as I'd like to.

OP, do you prefer a separate thread for recipes/things to make in an air fryer?  I don't want to hijack your thread.

I have mostly made sweet potato french fries (store bought, frozen) and kale chips in ours.  

Recipes are most welcome and appreciated too!  I’m particularly looking forward to using it for potatoes but I’m interested in any and all ideas!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Greta said:

Recipes are most welcome and appreciated too!  I’m particularly looking forward to using it for potatoes but I’m interested in any and all ideas!

Favorite recipes:

1. Roasted potatoes.  Cube potatoes, about half an inch thick.  Toss with olive oil and whatever seasoning you like.  Air-fry at 325 F for about 10-15 minutes, toss about halfway.  I go by how my food looks, not by exact time.  

2. Chicken drumsticks. Rub drumsticks all over with salt, white pepper, turmeric powder.  Let sit for 2-4 hours.  Air-fry at 350 F for about 20-25 minutes.  

3. Frozen breaded or fried convenient foods: frozen french fries, egg rolls, breaded calamari, breaded shrimps, chicken nuggets, flautas, meatballs, and everything else you can find in the frozen section of your grocery store.  I air-fry most things at 325-350 F and eyeball for doneness.  

4. Salmon fillets. Sprinkle salt and pepper on salmon pieces, let sit for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator if time allows (it's okay not to), cook for 8-10 minutes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Malory said:

Favorite recipes:

1. Roasted potatoes.  Cube potatoes, about half an inch thick.  Toss with olive oil and whatever seasoning you like.  Air-fry at 325 F for about 10-15 minutes, toss about halfway.  I go by how my food looks, not by exact time.  

2. Chicken drumsticks. Rub drumsticks all over with salt, white pepper, turmeric powder.  Let sit for 2-4 hours.  Air-fry at 350 F for about 20-25 minutes.  

3. Frozen breaded or fried convenient foods: frozen french fries, egg rolls, breaded calamari, breaded shrimps, chicken nuggets, flautas, meatballs, and everything else you can find in the frozen section of your grocery store.  I air-fry most things at 325-350 F and eyeball for doneness.  

4. Salmon fillets. Sprinkle salt and pepper on salmon pieces, let sit for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator if time allows (it's okay not to), cook for 8-10 minutes.

Do they make things like salmon and chicken with skin crispy, or do you need breading for that?

2 hours ago, VaKim said:

Do they make things like salmon and chicken with skin crispy, or do you need breading for that?

The chicken pieces with skin do get beautifully crispy due to the rendering of fat.  Not so much with salmon though, because it will get dry before the skin gets crispy, and I would rather not eat a piece of dry fish.  No breading needed.

• Like 1

I’ve been curious about the differences between using an air fryer and a convection oven.  My main oven and toaster oven both have convection. Can someone explain the benefit of an air fryer?   The footprint of an air fryer seems large, as does the weight, but I felt the same way about a rice cooker and instant pot.