Menu

Poetry, nursery rhymes and William J Bennett books

CTVKath

Hello - I need some help with "how to" read aloud poetry, nursery rhymes and William J Bennett books to my children who are 6 and 8. We read aloud literature daily - a chapter or two a day in a classic until the book is done then move on to the next book. And a picture book or two a day. We've loved this pace.

What we are not doing is any poetry or nursery rhymes or a stack of William J Bennett books that I'd love to read. And I'm over-analyzing myself into a corner and not getting started anywhere. My issue is a push-pull between whether it's better to read one poet (or book) at a time, whether to read a variety, whether to read one poem/selection daily or weekly, whether to put together a morning time, or add it to regular read-aloud time, to have it once-a-week in a poetry teatime, or even whether to just read something at lunch each day. (Bible is breakfast and it works great so I don't want to mess with breakfast.)

I've got the Real Mother Goose, the Real Mother Goose American Rhymes, Robert Louis Stevenson illustrated by Tasha Tudor, American Tall Tales by Osborne and a stack of sweet William J Bennett books. I don't need a curriculum or any analysis or comprehension guides. I just want to read. Is it better to do that daily or weekly? Stick with one poet/book for awhile or go for variety? A lengthier time less often or little bits each day while we eat lunch?

Thanks so much for your help. I'm stuck in the "paralysis of analysis".

Katherine

Just pick up a book and read. If you and the kids are interested you'll read it daily, or if its not that engaging just do that particular book once a month, if at all.

When we read a compilation book like poetry or the Bennett books, we'll just pick a story or poem at random or start at the beginning, and keep going until interest wanes. If we really like the book we'll read it for a couple weeks then usually something else has captured our interest. All books that we are currently reading together are kept out on the table or hearth so the kids are constantly reminded of them and ask for whichever they want. Nursery rhymes we don't read that often but instead recite them. Often the kids act out the rhyme or turn it into a game. 

• Like 2

Do what you like. :)
We have had exposure to a variety of poets this year thanks to ELTL and Elson readers, and my son is always thrilled when he recognizes a poet's name from a previous selection.  I've had him memorize 6 short pieces (one nursery rhyme, one Bennett, one Dickinson, one Rossetti, and one Stevenson, and one fun one) this year.  Next year we're going to pick two of the Poetry For Young People books, one per semester, and pick out three poems from each book to memorize.

Huh. I've never put that much thought into RA. I mean, I choose books. Then when I want to RA I head to our shelves and choose one. Or I ask the kids to. Ones I really want them to hear get added to our morning time box. That's where most of the things you are asking about fall for us, although DD is pretty likely to swipe them and read them elsewhere.

That seems like a long way of saying that I agree with PP. Just pick one up and start reading. Stop when you/they want. Rinse and repeat.

I really like Brave Writer’s idea of having poetry tea time. It can be as simple or as fancy as you like, and as often as you like. Many people make it a weekly event but at our house it is less frequent. For awhile there we did it pretty consistently every other week. I keep it super simple, otherwise it won’t happen at all. I brew some tea. DD7 gathers some snacks. We grab the few poetry books we have at home and bring them to the table. We eat and drink and take turns picking poems to read aloud. DD loves it! 

• Like 1

We read aloud poetry whenever, I just keep them with all the picture books and try to remember to grab them along with other read alouds. 

But poetry tea is huge here. And simple. At the kitchen table, without frills. And they adore it. My 8yo will not let us miss a week. Sometimes we each read a poem and chat and are done. Some weeks we really get going and it's an hour. The 8yo has been writing poems during her quiet time for the occasion. The 4yo chooses poems for me to read from a Mother Goose anthology and a RL Stevenson compilation. So that adds poetry too. And it's fun. 

Thank you, Ladies, for your suggestions. They are very helpful. I think "getting started" is my highest priority.........and that 5 minutes at lunch is going to be the path of least resistance for me. Put the books in a basket. Read for 5 minutes whether that is 2 rhymes, 1 poem or 1 Bennett story. If we're here, we do it. If we're gone, we don't. No way I can stress myself out of doing 5 minutes at lunch!! :-)

Eventually I'd like to move this type of material either to a morning time (which we do not have) or a poetry tea time. But for now, I'll start with 5 minutes at lunch and get it going.

Thank you again for your help!!

Katherine

• Like 2