Menu

Poor cat and my poor dd!

Night Elf

My dd's cat throws up after she eats. The vet can't find anything wrong. She's eating Blue Sensitive Stomach which my vet said was good. It's dry food. Is there anything else she can try?
I bought one of those slow feeder bowls and it was big. So I got back on Amazon and ordered another that said it was small and showed a cat eating from it but when I got it, it's still big! I'm going to give these both to dd to let her try them because I have no other ideas.

Hmm. I can't preview my post before submitting it. Bummer. 

You could try putting some marbles or clean rocks--something hard but big enough that she won't mistake them for kibble--in her regular bowl. That's what we did in the good old days before newfangled bowls were available. ;)

If it's not too much of an inconvenience, and if your DD won't forget, she can give kitty a very small amount of kibble numerous times a day and see if that helps.

But . . I'd strongly urge you to consider a food change, and perhaps a vet change. It's normal for cats to throw up occasionally. It is NOT normal for a cat to throw up every time she eats. That's a very clear signal that something is wrong, and a food issue is the most likely (and the easiest to fix). It doesn't matter one whit how "good" a food is supposed to be, it won't agree with every single pet. That's  basic pet health 101. What did the vet do before declaring nothing wrong? Blood panels? A barium x-ray? Those are the minimum things I'd want done with a chronic thrower upper before accepting a vet's declaration that nothing was wrong.

• Like 2

Agreeing with pursuing further testing, because as Paws4Me said, it is not normal for a cat to throw up every time after eating.

Having said that, I used Feline Comfort Plus from Vitality Science for my old kitty. It helped her keep her food down for nearly a year before she got too sick and we had to let her go.

I know they ran a blood panel. I don't think they did an xray. The cat can go a few weeks without throwing up and then she'll have a few days of throwing up after each meal. Both dd and her boyfriend work so they feed her around 7:30am and again at 6:30pm. The vet gave my dd a powder to put on the food but I don't know if dd was using it or not. I'll have to ask. She's changed food several times already and the Blue Sensitive Stomach seemed to help the most. I'd rather not do a vet change. We've been with this vet over 15 years and trust them. They've always helped all our pets. It's just this particular cat with her some days of throwing up. We wonder if she's just gobbling too fast. She gets 1/4 cup twice a day. 

4 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I know they ran a blood panel. I don't think they did an xray. The cat can go a few weeks without throwing up and then she'll have a few days of throwing up after each meal. Both dd and her boyfriend work so they feed her around 7:30am and again at 6:30pm. The vet gave my dd a powder to put on the food but I don't know if dd was using it or not. I'll have to ask. She's changed food several times already and the Blue Sensitive Stomach seemed to help the most. I'd rather not do a vet change. We've been with this vet over 15 years and trust them. They've always helped all our pets. It's just this particular cat with her some days of throwing up. We wonder if she's just gobbling too fast. She gets 1/4 cup twice a day. 

Do you know what the trigger is? The bolded sounds similar to my cat. In her case, it's when we open a new bag of cat food. She likes it so much she overeats and then throws up. After a few days it's not quite so amazingly fresh and delicious and she goes back to eating normally. Now that we know, we dish out the food very sparingly on the first couple of days of a new bag (4-5 times a day, instead of the usual twice a day).

• Like 1

Just now, Cosmos said:

Do you know what the trigger is? The bolded sounds similar to my cat. In her case, it's when we open a new bag of cat food. She likes it so much she overeats and then throws up. After a few days it's not quite so amazingly fresh and delicious and she goes back to eating normally. Now that we know, we dish out the food very sparingly on the first couple of days of a new bag (4-5 times a day, instead of the usual twice a day).

Hmm. I'll ask dd. I have no clue. She'll throw up for 4-5 days and then go back to being normal. Well, maybe a throwing up once or twice at random.

Cats are meant to eat small amounts more frequently. I'd look at one of those timer bowls that she can fill and it will open up a compartment several times a day. That way kitty gets less food at a time, more often.

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-eatwell-5-meal-timed-pet/dp/48080?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=PetSafe&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzIzWBRDnARIsAAkc8hGDFP7ONEDIehyESO8PkisbmtvS7Tf1cwU1-R9n0qu52jHJhYG0wUwaAtOpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

My cats have this same issue - I posted about it here a while ago. We have started feeding them smaller amounts 6 times a day (of course, that only works if we're actually home). I also tried a couple of the slow feeding bowls people here recommended.  The one we finally settled on is a soft, flexible one. The hard ones were too big and my cats couldn't get their noses in!!!!!

These haven't completely solved the problem, but I do think it's better.

Have you tried canned food?  I had one barfy cat that just did better on canned food.   I did still keep out dry, but he ate much less of it after I offered caned. I think the slow feeders are a good idea too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Cats are meant to eat small amounts more frequently. I'd look at one of those timer bowls that she can fill and it will open up a compartment several times a day. That way kitty gets less food at a time, more often.

https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-eatwell-5-meal-timed-pet/dp/48080?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=PetSafe&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzIzWBRDnARIsAAkc8hGDFP7ONEDIehyESO8PkisbmtvS7Tf1cwU1-R9n0qu52jHJhYG0wUwaAtOpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Well, that's just way cool. I'll tell my dd about it. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, scbusf said:

My cats have this same issue - I posted about it here a while ago. We have started feeding them smaller amounts 6 times a day (of course, that only works if we're actually home). I also tried a couple of the slow feeding bowls people here recommended.  The one we finally settled on is a soft, flexible one. The hard ones were too big and my cats couldn't get their noses in!!!!!

That's what I have. The hard bowl doesn't look like it will work. I have a soft green flexible disc that might work better. But I like Katie's idea of the timed feeder. I'm sure she'll try the slow feeder first since we have it. I just wish it wasn't so big. But who know, maybe it's supposed to be like that for her.