Menu

Does anyone know about UCincinnati?

cave canem

I know such a large student body can't be characterized too easily, but we are wondering whether the campus has a discernible vibe.  We have experienced the sports vibe, the party vibe, and the serious pre-professional vibe. 

There is a lot we like about Cincinnati on paper.

• 1 month later...

I’m just seeing this, so sorry. My son just finished his Freshman year there in the Business school. As for vibe, I don’t know. I’d have to say it’s not any one thing. It’s not major party, it’s not super competitive, but it isn’t slackers either. It’s midwestern to the core - probably the best way to put it. Everything in moderation, lol. People are friendly and unpretentious. It does have a pretty high amount of students from the area, but making friends still seems to be easy.

The campus has interesting architecture. The area around campus isn’t great. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, livetoread said:

I’m just seeing this, so sorry. My son just finished his Freshman year there in the Business school. As for vibe, I don’t know. I’d have to say it’s not any one thing. It’s not major party, it’s not super competitive, but it isn’t slackers either. It’s midwestern to the core - probably the best way to put it. Everything in moderation, lol. People are friendly and unpretentious. It does have a pretty high amount of students from the area, but making friends still seems to be easy.

The campus has interesting architecture. The area around campus isn’t great. 

We're interested in UC (math and/or computer science).  Did your son like his professors?  Do you know much about the honors program/housing or class sizes?  My dd is very introverted and I think a smaller school would be a better fit but UC would be a great deal for us financially.  And she'd be going off-campus frequently to take classes at the circus school in town.

Well, my son that was interested in computer science decided it was not the school for him as CS is in the engineering department and it is required to do one year of co-op to graduate. They have a five year program to graduate in engineering. 

For many this may be a plus, but my oldest, and now my second have not wanted to look there at all because of the required co-op.

That said, co-ops are fantastic for experience and money during school, but my kids want the choice to so co-ops, internships, or neither.

The students we know at UC are happy.

17 minutes ago, Julie of KY said:

Well, my son that was interested in computer science decided it was not the school for him as CS is in the engineering department and it is required to do one year of co-op to graduate. They have a five year program to graduate in engineering. 

For many this may be a plus, but my oldest, and now my second have not wanted to look there at all because of the required co-op.

That said, co-ops are fantastic for experience and money during school, but my kids want the choice to so co-ops, internships, or neither.

The students we know at UC are happy.

Yes, I don't like the co-op requirement even though I think co-ops are very valuable.  My three sons graduated from OSU with engineering degrees and all had internships, but chose not to do co-ops.  We were looking at University of KY, too, and Transylvania.  I assume from your username that you're from KY?  Do you know much about either school?  

Univ of KY has a great engineering program with lots of support if you want to do co-ops or internships, but no requirement. It's a large state school and feels like it.

Transy has a very different feel - much smaller. Some people say it feels like an extension of UK if you are taking engineering classes at UK - you would be on both campuses. I don't remember if Transy's programs with UK require five years to complete or not.

My oldest math/computer science major is now at Vanderbilt and loving it. He probably would have gone to UK as his second choice, but not sure.

My second son is looking at engineering and his favorites so far are UK and UAH.

• Thanks 1

He does like his professors. He went in as a reluctant student, pretty sure he could learn more from YouTube videos. He was surprised his teachers had so much professional experience, and he found them to be engaging and responsive. Of course, his helicopter mom (raises hand) played a part in making sure his schedule worked and was with good professors.

He is not an honors student, but a relative just graduated a couple of years ago, and she was. She liked the program and said she learned a lot about leadership. They have a big service component to the honors program there.

I don’t know much about the computer science program there, other than yes, it requires several semesters of co-op.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Julie of KY said:

Univ of KY has a great engineering program with lots of support if you want to do co-ops or internships, but no requirement. It's a large state school and feels like it.

Transy has a very different feel - much smaller. Some people say it feels like an extension of UK if you are taking engineering classes at UK - you would be on both campuses. I don't remember if Transy's programs with UK require five years to complete or not.

My oldest math/computer science major is now at Vanderbilt and loving it. He probably would have gone to UK as his second choice, but not sure.

My second son is looking at engineering and his favorites so far are UK and UAH.

Thank you!  Do you know if many Transy majors use UK for classes?  I didn't consider that.  

27 minutes ago, livetoread said:

He does like his professors. He went in as a reluctant student, pretty sure he could learn more from YouTube videos. He was surprised his teachers had so much professional experience, and he found them to be engaging and responsive. Of course, his helicopter mom (raises hand) played a part in making sure his schedule worked and was with good professors.

He is not an honors student, but a relative just graduated a couple of years ago, and she was. She liked the program and said she learned a lot about leadership. They have a big service component to the honors program there.

I don’t know much about the computer science program there, other than yes, it requires several semesters of co-op.

Thank you!  Nothing wrong with being a helicopter mom in this situation - you are the consumer and want the best academic experience for your ds!  Dd has been very successful learning independently and is also a reluctant student - she has had great DE professors but still prefers learning on her own.  

This is the USNEWS URL for UC.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-cincinnati-3125

I find their information helpful.  Note: I believe my DD also uses Niche.com to check out any schools she might or might not be interested in.

And, there's always CollegeConfidential.com

With regard to the Coops I worked with a young  engineer who'd been a coop student.           I suspect a lot of them are offered positions by the companies where they do their coop.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lanny said:

With regard to the Coops I worked with a young  engineer who'd been a coop student.           I suspect a lot of them are offered positions by the companies where they do their coop.

Yes - same with internships.  Two of my three sons were offered good jobs from the companies they had internships with.  

• Like 1