Menu

Yet another colonoscopy prep question

Night Elf

I was told no orange - too close to red.  But I know a lot of prep instructions include orange so it's obviously not a rule.  

ETA:  I wish I could have orange.  I like it way better than lemon/lime and I was feeling really sick of lemon/lime by the end of my last prep. 

Edited by Kassia

I drink anywhere from 15 to 21 cups of water a day so I'll be drinking water in addition to the Colyte they're giving me. I wanted to mix the Colyte with the orange gatorade since I like that flavor. I wondered about it because it's close to red. Oh well. I'll ask the nurse when I call to make the actual appointment.

I can handle no food for a day, just drinks, broth, jello. What's going to be hard for me is coffee because I can't drink it without half and half.

I'd suggest you call the hospital where you're getting it done.  I think hospitals might vary on their guidelines.  I was told yellow was okay, but nothing else besides clear.  They're probably just being extra cautious, and maybe the doctors who do the test there are fine with orange.

To tell you the truth, during the prep, I didn’t really care that much what I was eating/drinking and what flavor it was. It’s a relatively short and specified amount of time.

It’s just something to be got through

A prep reality check: with Suprep, you drink the prep mixed with water to make 16 ounces. Then you drink like 64 ounces of water in an hour. Really, I was so stuffed to the gills, I didn’t WANT to drink anything else. I felt like water was going to come out me ears. And the same thing the next morning. All the stuff I bought for prep—I used up within the following three weeks.

I have to do a 2-day clear liquid diet this time and it's going to be tough.  I think Night Elf has to as well?  I get very hungry and need to eat frequently.  With the one-day clear liquid diet I was struggling by mid-afternoon but after I took the prep in the evening I was too full of liquids.  This time I'll have a lot longer before I get to that point and don't know how I'm going to make it.  :(

I have to do a 2-day clear liquid diet this time and it's going to be tough.  I think Night Elf has to as well?  I get very hungry and need to eat frequently.  With the one-day clear liquid diet I was struggling by mid-afternoon but after I took the prep in the evening I was too full of liquids.  This time I'll have a lot longer before I get to that point and don't know how I'm going to make it.  :(

I have a 2-day prep but not clear liquids both days. Day 1 is normal eating but drinking 10 oz. of citrate of magnesia. Is that milk of magnesia? No clue. I have to wait for my neurology appointment before I can schedule my colonoscopy and will go to the pharmacy for all of that stuff when I have my appointment set.

I have a 2-day prep but not clear liquids both days. Day 1 is normal eating but drinking 10 oz. of citrate of magnesia. Is that milk of magnesia? No clue. I have to wait for my neurology appointment before I can schedule my colonoscopy and will go to the pharmacy for all of that stuff when I have my appointment set.

Oh, I have a 3-day prep then.  I take the magnesium citrate bottle three days before, then the clear liquids with another mag citrate bottle two days before, then clear liquids and the gallon of gross stuff the day before.  

The magnesium citrate 10 oz bottle I have is like carbonated flavored water IIRC.  I've only had it once and struggled to finish it (actually, I didn't) but I was in the hospital and they gave it to me warm with no straw.  I've heard the best way to drink it is chilled and with a straw so you can direct it to the back of your mouth and avoid the taste buds.  At the hospital, the nurse recommended I mix it with apple juice but I hate juice so I didn't.  I might try mixing it with something different at home.

Oh, I have a 3-day prep then.  I take the magnesium citrate bottle three days before, then the clear liquids with another mag citrate bottle two days before, then clear liquids and the gallon of gross stuff the day before.  

The magnesium citrate 10 oz bottle I have is like carbonated flavored water IIRC.  I've only had it once and struggled to finish it (actually, I didn't) but I was in the hospital and they gave it to me warm with no straw.  I've heard the best way to drink it is chilled and with a straw so you can direct it to the back of your mouth and avoid the taste buds.  At the hospital, the nurse recommended I mix it with apple juice but I hate juice so I didn't.  I might try mixing it with something different at home.

Oh yuck. Okay, I'll try chilled. Thanks. I have to drink half my colyte on the day before and the other half of it 6 hours before the procedure. I really hope I don't get an early morning appointment or I'll be up in the middle of the night!

Oh yuck. Okay, I'll try chilled. Thanks. I have to drink half my colyte on the day before and the other half of it 6 hours before the procedure. I really hope I don't get an early morning appointment or I'll be up in the middle of the night!

I have to do the same but am hoping for an early morning appt. so I can eat ASAP!  :p