Menu

Repair or replace Dryer?

scbusf

Our GE electric dryer is 12 years old. For the last year or longer, it has been shutting off in the middle of a cycle. I think it's overheating and shutting off. Last week, it started squeaking. Google tells me it could be a bad roller or bearing somewhere.

An appliance repair place charges $70 for the diagnosis, and then obviously, the repair. Or we could just buy a new one. We do have a little extra cash right now. If we buy a new one, I just want something fairly basic, no frills, just a dryer.

Thoughts?

I vote repair it yourself or have someone else do it.

Before you do that clean the dryer and the vent hose thoroughly. Take the back off the dryer and get all of the lint. Also, Google instructions on how to clean your dryer's sensor.

Some new dryers don't work very well at all.

I'm not going to say that all new appliances are junky, but I AM going to say that I do all I can to keep my sturdy old appliances going because MANY new appliances are junky.  So I'd try to fix it myself, and then invest in a service call if that didn't work.   YMMV.