Menu

Christian Light Math for High School

I have an 8th grade son using Teaching Textbooks Math Pre-Algebra at this time but am curious about Christian Light Math for high school.

We have had such success with CL Math since starting it with our younger children.  I wondered if CL Math Algebra 1, 2, and geometry are adequate for high school.

Thanks!

I think you must be referring to the program most people call CLE?

We used it through 8th grade (level 800) and were planning to use algebra, but DD16 went to brick and mortar school instead.

You should know that only algebra 1 has the revised Sunrise format, similar to levels 100-800. I've heard good reports from those who have used it.

But the reputation of the rest of CLE's high school math is not great. It is really Alpha-Omega math rebranded with a CLE cover. They are working to create Sunrise editions of their entire high school math sequence, but they are not ready yet. You could contact them or explore their website to see if there are any dates listed for when they hope to publish the new math curriculum, but I think it expected to take years for all levels to be complete. 

Some people have used algebra and then switched to something else for the rest of high school math.

• Like 2

If you mean CLE (Christian Light Education) it is a solid program through Algebra I and many have used it successfully.  However, anything beyond Algebra I is NOT the CLE program.  As mentioned by Storygirl the rest is a sort of revamped older version of Alpha-Omega and most don't like it.  They have been in the process of updating High School math but have not finished. I do not think there is a date for when they will.  

• Like 3

I am using CLE Algebra I with my 8th grader this year after receiving good reviews from this site last year. It is working well so far. My son needs the spiral (he did Saxon Pre-Algebra last year) and CLE Algebra I definitely is spiraled. There are no "bells and whistles" —it's straight forward math but that works for my son who is easily distracted. The explanations are brief but if I need more I go to another reference (Mostly Keys to Algebra I that I got used at a curriculum sale).

I plan on using something else for Geometry in 9th but for now, CLE Algebra I is working well!

I don't think there is anything wrong with Alpha Omega math per se however it is different than the revised CLE Light Units. So, if someone is used to CLE light units, they might be surprised by the differences. CLE  seems more student friendly than the AO versions including mixed review in each lesson and clear daily lessons.

It is also called LifePac. I can't paste in the website for some reason, but you can find some mixed reviews on Christianbook.com. It looks like those who didn't like it say there is not enough instruction. I'm sure you can find other review as well; that is just the first thing that popped up for me when I ran a search.

ETA: Another review  -- Cathy Duffy's review on her website says that LifePac (as a curriculum not specifically the math) is meant to be taught and/or supplemented by the parent and is not meant to be a completely independent program. Those who expect their children to do it on their own often end up frustrated.

Edited by Storygirl

ETA: Another review  -- Cathy Duffy's review on her website says that LifePac (as a curriculum not specifically the math) is meant to be taught and/or supplemented by the parent and is not meant to be a completely independent program. Those who expect their children to do it on their own often end up frustrated.

Yes, I think this is one of the issues with the Alpha Omega Lifepacs, from what I've seen in discussions over the years.  Many parents assume it's an independent program and don't really teach from the TMs.  

Between the two, I would definitely choose CLE over Alpha Omega.  But probably neither for Bible or History because I'm not Mennonite (CLE), and I don't care for workbooks in general for those subjects, anyway.  But for the 3 R's, I think CLE is excellent (barring the unfinished high school levels).