Menu

On the hunt for a good high school geography program...

I figure maybe 3rd time's a charm. I have graduated two without being able to find anything I like so now that my last is coming up to high school I was hoping there is something out there. I don't need history. We have that. Geography will be an elective. I want physical and cultural geography. At this point I'm ready to give up on the idea of finding something I really like and going with BJU or other straight textbook option. Anyone have an experience with those?

Thanks

The FundaFunda course looks great but we have a couple of other online courses we have to do so I am on the look out for a good Human Geography course we can do at home for 9th. I thought I would bump this thread and ask here rather than starting a new one in case it is useful to the OP too. 

I have thought about doing an AP Human Geography course but I'm not 100% sure my dd is ready for taking an AP exam next year and also, not many colleges seem to give credit for it so not sure if it is worth the money and angst to do AP.

I have the great courses Human Geography course and would like to use that and flesh it out with other things. I am also going to have her do the Ellen McHenry Mapping course as a 0.5 credit elective/art course, so that will cover the mapping element of geography. I've toyed with the idea of adding in some geography living books along with having her take notes on the TC course and write an essay a week answering one of the questions in the TC course book. I have a text book that is sometimes used for the AP course but it seems rather tedious and dry. We haven't used text books for high school history for dd17 at all, even for APUSH so I'm kind of spoiled and would like to keep avoiding it if I can.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them. Also if you have any suggestions for geography living books.

• Like 1

Can you tell me more about this?  I'm mostly looking to study cultural geography.

Oak Meadow uses the Holt Geography text, which usually covers each continent in 3 chapters -- physical, cultural, and present political.

She's reading books like I Am Malala, Kisses for Katie, Lupita Manana, Cry the Beloved Country, and more. The syllabus has comprehension questions and a weekly project, and we have a book of daily devotions from World Vision that we read together, find the country in an atlas, talk about where is capital, what borders it, etc. 

• Like 2

We use a combination of Glencoe World Geography textbook, videos and the PACE booklets. I am not pro ACE Paces for anything else, but the detail in the workbooks is great. It is overly religious, and we just ignore that part. We also use cultural events around Orlando. We are blessed to have many opportunities around here. 

• Like 2

FundaFunda Academy's Geography looks really interesting & engaging!

We used Oak Meadow's Geography(cultural) & Mapping the World by Heart(physical)

We tweaked Oak Meadow to fit our lifestyle..... Lots of travel videos that year!! 

BYL Grade 7 is Geography...... http://buildyourlibrary.com/purchase-grade-7-curriculum/

She has a great book list and also explains how she used it for her high schooler. http://buildyourlibrary.com/multi-grade-teaching-an-example/  She actually uses Oak Meadow materials (text & syllabus).

Edited by Murrayshire
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My dd (9th) is using the BJU Geography this year with distance learning.  She likes it and seems to be learning a lot.  It was recently updated (last year I think), so the textbook and videos are very current.  The teacher seems engaging and easy to follow.  If you have any specific questions about it, I'm happy to answer them (or ask my daughter).  BJU has a sale coming up in April I think (I think its on their Facebook page).  

EdX has an AP Human Geography course.  It is set up to run 14 weeks.  It has scheduled readings from The Cultural Landscape by Rubenstein that tie in with each lesson.  It also has additional resources to dig even deeper.  

The course looks really good.  I think we are going to use it next year.