Menu

Georgia Virtual School experiences anyone?

I messed up DS16's science sequence with the end result that we have to find him a biology class to take in 12th grade. It won't work to take it DE, so we're thinking of doing it through Georgia Virtual School. Anyone have experiences with it? Particularly with doing a lab science, but really anything....I'm also looking at Spanish for my younger boys.

My son is taking AP Stats through GAVS right now. He is doing the 14 week one. It’s been a week. So far, so good. He has a friend who is also doing it, so they FaceTime while they work. And I have the AP stats teacher from my school on call if they need him. I’ll let you know more when I have more info. They told him it would take 2-3 hours a day. So far, that isn’t true, but it does take quite a bit of time.

• Like 1

My son is taking AP Stats through GAVS right now. He is doing the 14 week one. It’s been a week. So far, so good. He has a friend who is also doing it, so they FaceTime while they work. And I have the AP stats teacher from my school on call if they need him. I’ll let you know more when I have more info. They told him it would take 2-3 hours a day. So far, that isn’t true, but it does take quite a bit of time.

thanks! Is he doing the AB together? So the whole course in one semester? My son would love to get bio out of the way in a semester, but I do worry about the time commitment.

I have heard good and bad. It depends on the class, the student and the teacher. Some of the teachers are on the ball but some are not. My dd did not have a good experience but 2 of her friends did. Another friend had a student who took an AP class and did not realize until March that the teacher was only planning on covering about 1/2 of the course. He had to self study the rest and did not do as well on the AP.

I don’t have any experience with a lab science. Just English Lang and Spanish.

• Like 1

thanks! Is he doing the AB together? So the whole course in one semester? My son would love to get bio out of the way in a semester, but I do worry about the time commitment.

Yes, he’s doing the AB together, so the entire course in a semester.

I know a kid who did Bio in a semester, but it was Cobb Virtual instead of GAVS. He worked his butt off. (It was on level.)

• Like 1

I would really appreciate hearing the names of teachers/classes at GAVS that are recommended/not recommended. I understand reluctance to name names if one is dissatisfied, so please PM me if this is the case. My son will start 9th grade in public school in August, but he will probably have to supplement with GAVS classes. Any recommendations/non-recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

My dd took a couple of classes with GAVS (a Latin course and an English course, if I remember right). I realized later that the content of her course was identical to the shared resources. The shared resources don't include the exams, but the information that will be covered can be found here: http://www.gavirtuallearning.org/Resources/ScienceResources/ScienceShared/SharedBiology17.aspx

• Like 2

My dd took a couple of classes with GAVS (a Latin course and an English course, if I remember right). I realized later that the content of her course was identical to the shared resources. The shared resources don't include the exams, but the information that will be covered can be found here: http://www.gavirtuallearning.org/Resources/ScienceResources/ScienceShared/SharedBiology17.aspx

oh, great--thank you!

We have taken several classes with GAVS and it really depends on the teacher. We have had several teachers that were just excellent. Others, not so much.

Do they provide a real-life teacher for each class or are you referring to previously recorded video presenter?