Menu

If I don't want to use CLE Language Arts until 3rd grade...

mykidsrmyjoy

What should I use for 1st and 2nd? I've used CLE LA for 1st-4th with my oldest DD and then for 1st with my DD2. I'm just really tired of the extremely heavy emphasis on diacritical markings. Is that the way most LA programs are or is it just CLE? I'm used to the all-in-one approach for LA so am not even sure what all I would need if I used something else. Please give me some suggestions!

What should I use for 1st and 2nd? I've used CLE LA for 1st-4th with my oldest DD and then for 1st with my DD2. I'm just really tired of the extremely heavy emphasis on diacritical markings. Is that the way most LA programs are or is it just CLE? I'm used to the all-in-one approach for LA so am not even sure what all I would need if I used something else. Please give me some suggestions!

Diacritical markings would only be used in spelling. You find them in the Light Units because all components of "language arts" are stuffed into them. Most other publishers separate components into different categories: spelling, phonics/reading, grammar and composition, penmanship. ABeka muddles things up some (e.g., spelling and poetry in one), but most textbook publishers do it individually, and most materials written by and for homeschoolers separate them out--not all, but most. At any rate, those are your components of English: phonics/reading/literature, penmanship, spelling/vocabulary, grammar, composition.

I'm in the same situation and plan to use CLE LA starting in 3rd or 4th grade. I'm using FLL for now.

My boys started CLE LA in 2nd and 4th grade. 2nd grade was still very phonics-focused so I don't want to start my daughter now. My then-4th grader was fine starting at that point and he has a great understanding of grammar thanks to his use of CLE LA for a couple of years.

Edited by insertcreativenamehere