Menu

Personal Finance

displace

I’m interested this year in paying more attention to personal finances. I feel like I’m knowledgeable (we should invest, pay off loans, no credit debt, etc) in what to do but we’re not really paying any attention. I’m unmotivated to track expenses or look at our investments, switch to better interest banks, get benefits in credit cards, etc.

Any program recommendations that make things super easy? We use our debit card to track expenses so the raw data is digital, at least. A program with good teaching would help too (but not too basic). Even a great course or book I can get as an audio would be good for a rec, but I also need software for tracking.

My personal financial philosophy is Mr Money Mustache but my implementation is more typical lack of time and desire.

Perhaps Mint would be right for you?

I'd check your bank first, though.  Ours offers all sorts of helps and aids, including charts to see how we spend, investment information, and making a budget.  We use EveryDollar on our phones to track everyday spending and keep track, but if we wanted to do it all through our bank, we could.

Aside from that, go see what your library has for financial books.  Find one that speaks to you and take it home.  Check out a new one when you're done.  It's how I found a handful that I really wanted to keep around for our journey but also ones that were right for our situation right at that moment.

• Like 1

Perhaps Mint would be right for you?

I'd check your bank first, though. Ours offers all sorts of helps and aids, including charts to see how we spend, investment information, and making a budget. We use EveryDollar on our phones to track everyday spending and keep track, but if we wanted to do it all through our bank, we could.

Aside from that, go see what your library has for financial books. Find one that speaks to you and take it home. Check out a new one when you're done. It's how I found a handful that I really wanted to keep around for our journey but also ones that were right for our situation right at that moment.

Thanks, I’ll check my bank. It’s been a few years since I’ve looked to see if they have anything useful.

What exactly is it you are wanting to be able to do?  Are you interested in learning where your money is currently going, or do you have a fairly good handle on that?  Are you wanting something that will help you monitor on a daily basis to help you stick to a budget?  Or you wanting something that you use on a daily basis, weekly basis or monthly basis?  Or, are you more interested in tracking your investments?  Different resources are good for different needs.

• Like 1

Digit and EveryDollar are good tools for budgeting. My hubby also recommends having an accountability partner. He says we can too easily justify making purchases but being accountable makes it harder to pull off buying stuff we have not planned in advance. The one caveat he said is that your spouse can not be the one you are accountable to. It needs to be someone that is an objective third party.

I asked him about a book recommendation...he said he didn’t really have one. Lol.

• Like 2

There are also a million (or at least a hundred) personal finance blogs to make the info more digestible & interesting.

Simple Dollar = www.simpledollar.com   (SAHD with 3 school aged kids)

Get Rich Slowly = www.getrichslowly.org

Mr. Money Mustache = www.mrmoneymustache.com   (he enjoys using profanity, as a warning.)

Lots of folks who have BTDT & help encourage you along the way.

There are many more--I'm just giving 3 of my favorites.

• Like 1

My goals- start monitoring again where the money is being spent (I used to use quicken 5-10 years ago but it was too cumbersome for me to assign categories and stopped), and decrease spending. Other goals- increase loan payoffs and mortgage payments, increase retirement savings, maybe start college savings, etc. We have a 401 or non profit equivalent. I want to learn how to follow that, if we’re saving enough for retirement, and invest more in retirement if needed.

ETA - I need a nag reminder to do finances at lease monthly. I’m sure more time is better, but I’m at zero right now, so monthly will be an improvement.

Edited by displace

There are also a million (or at least a hundred) personal finance blogs to make the info more digestible & interesting.

Simple Dollar = www.simpledollar.com (SAHD with 3 school aged kids)

Get Rich Slowly = www.getrichslowly.org

Mr. Money Mustache = www.mrmoneymustache.com (he enjoys using profanity, as a warning.)

Lots of folks who have BTDT & help encourage you along the way.

There are many more--I'm just giving 3 of my favorites.

Thanks! I follow MMM sometimes, and can look at the others.
  • Like 1

Digit and EveryDollar are good tools for budgeting. My hubby also recommends having an accountability partner. He says we can too easily justify making purchases but being accountable makes it harder to pull off buying stuff we have not planned in advance. The one caveat he said is that your spouse can not be the one you are accountable to. It needs to be someone that is an objective third party.

I asked him about a book recommendation...he said he didn’t really have one. Lol.

Thanks!!

It’s a mindset and a way of looking at life. Constant learning and being aware of what is of value to you and spending or not accordingly.

I recommended Your Money or Your Life, The Millionaire Next Door and investing with Vanguard Group. Pay yourself first works for us (monthly withdrawal from checking into Vanguard index fund). It doesn’t have to be hard, just thoughtful.

• Like 2