Menu

Driving in the UK

Bluegoat

So I am still working on planning my UK trip this summer.  My sister and I have finally decided the best thing for getting from the Cotswolds to Scotland is just to rent a car and drive.  That way we can stop and look at things and take our time.  My sister will do the driving as she is a bit of a control freak about it.

We will very likely overnight somewhere on the way, we aren't in a rush.  It will be August.

What we aren't sure about is which way to go or where best to stop.  We'll be starting near Stroud and ending near Loch Lomond NP.  We'd rather the driving not be too intense in terms of crazy traffic or anything like that.  Nice scenery however would be great.

I would love any thoughts on planning, which way to go (or avoid,) any great things we should see on the way, and also where a nice place to overnight would be.  And anything else useful about renting a car and driving that might be pertinent.

Google maps gives that drive as 6 hours and 18 minutes without breaks.

Personally, I'd move fast through the Midlands, unless you really want to go to Stratford, for example.  The Midlands tend to be very busy and you can get very tied up in traffic.  I'd pick up the M5, M54, M6, M62 and then stop and wander in either the Yorkshire Dales or the Lake District.

The second day I'd finish my wandering in those areas then pick up the M62 and M74 again and go on North.  The UK looks really small but it's pretty congested and it's easy to lose hours just stuck in traffic.  

Although that's a fair bit of motorway driving, certainly the stretch from Manchester north is very scenic.

ETA: an alternative would be to go from Stroud across one of the bridges to Chepstow, up the Wye valley and the border between Wales and England (castles, abbeys, Hay-on-Wye book town) then join the motorway whenever you get tired of wandering.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

Google maps gives that drive as 6 hours and 18 minutes without breaks.

Personally, I'd move fast through the Midlands, unless you really want to go to Stratford, for example.  The Midlands tend to be very busy and you can get very tied up in traffic.  I'd pick up the M5, M54, M6, M62 and then stop and wander in either the Yorkshire Dales or the Lake District.

The second day I'd finish my wandering in those areas then pick up the M62 and M74 again and go on North.  The UK looks really small but it's pretty congested and it's easy to lose hours just stuck in traffic.  

Although that's a fair bit of motorway driving, certainly the stretch from Manchester north is very scenic.

ETA: an alternative would be to go from Stroud across one of the bridges to Chepstow, up the Wye valley and the border between Wales and England (castles, abbeys, Hay-on-Wye book town) then join the motorway whenever you get tired of wandering.

That's very helpful thanks!

I don't especially intend to go to Stratford, though I had thought of going to Hidcote Manor.  I hadn't really thought about going through Wales but it's an appealing idea too.

Is she used to driving a stick shift?  How does she feel about shifting with her left hand?  My sister did this recently and said that thing she found most problematic was judging where the left curb was on narrow roads when she was sitting on the right hand side of the car.  It was just visually a different perspective than what she was used to.

• Like 2

Is she used to driving a stick shift?  How does she feel about shifting with her left hand?  My sister did this recently and said that thing she found most problematic was judging where the left curb was on narrow roads when she was sitting on the right hand side of the car.  It was just visually a different perspective than what she was used to.

You can rent automatic cars but they are usually more expensive and you have to make sure to reserve one in advance.

Yes, the Americans I know found positioning on the road and also dealing with roundabouts to be a bit difficult at first.  Even if you are used to roundabouts, the direction feels very odd.

• Like 1

Actually, she strongly prefers a stick shift.  Though I do wonder if using the opposite hand to shift might bother her.

We'll likely base how much driving we do by how much she hates it.  If it's really a drag, we'll just minimize our side-trips and get rid of the car as soon as we get where we are going.  We did consider the train but it didn't seem like a great fit, though if worse comes to worse we can change plans after we arrive there.  The middle part of our trip is fairly flexible.

I've BTDT, driving our dd & me in a loop around Britain (300+ miles).

I usually drive very little outside our town when in the States, but did opt for the stick shift (I felt more in control).

I put my hair rubber band on my right wrist, & after a few practice drives in the parking garage, I felt OK to drive VERY cautiously.

I did clip the LEFT side mirror on a mailbox initially (no damage) . . . and I did feel like I was in a horror movie watching the oncoming traffic & feeling like we were going to DIE!

We didn't.  :)

But our dd was the Chief Navigator, through the LITERALLY 90 round-abouts we had to cross.

That was the worst part.  No problems with any traffic, just those roundabouts going north from the Cotswalds to Derbyshire.

Personally, I would recommend you stop & hike in Derbyshire, & visit Lyme Park if you're ANY kind of 1995 Pride & Prejudice fan.

We arrived before it was open & actually scared up ELK as we walked the grounds around the outside of the fenced yard.

It was the highlight of our trip for me.  :)

And yes = YMMV.

Anyway, it is a mental challenge to drive on the left side of the road, but PLEASE don't let it stop you from traveling!

It's much more fun than a tour bus!  And the memories you make while you drive are priceless.

Cheerio!

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 2

My tips for driving in the UK........

The driver should be sitting in the center of the road. When returning to the UK I check constantly to make sure we are where we belong. Also when we arrive in the US.

Floor painting makes roundabouts easy. The driver needs to follow the instructions for car placement that are on the pavement. They work. Easier than the signs. Imo

Understand the basic signs. Google or you tube. Both the passenger and the driver need to know them and watch when not on M’s.

Use your signals. Let me repeat use your turn signals.

• Like 3