Menu

New insurance year - be sure to shop your prescriptions - UPDATE - Another script cost victory

Pegasus

It is well known that prescription prices can vary wildly between different pharmacies but I wanted to throw out a reminder to go ahead and shop your existing prescriptions as well, because the prices can change over time.

For late 2017, the pharmacy that my insurance mandates was the best cost value for one of my prescriptions. However, with the new year and the re-setting of my high deductible, I decided to shop for a better price (numbers below are rounded). 

Cash price at CVS - $980

Using a GoodRX coupon code at CVS - $55

Looks like a great discount, right?  But I kept shopping:

Cash price at Costco (don't need to be a member) - $20

I actually ended up doing a little better than even that by signing up for their pharmacy member program (have to be a member of Costco for this program). 

I paid $16.

So happy!

Edited by Pegasus
  • Like 13

I’m curious how to do the shopping around, too.

If I don’t go to cvs (the one I’m required to go to if I’d care for my Insurance to do what it’s intended to do...but I totally have a choice. Wink-wink.) dining just tell them I dthink my have insurance or don’t want to use it?

The one reason for keeping all prescriptions at one place, though, is they can catch if there may be a bad combo of meds.  Otherwise just make sure your doc knows ALL other meds you are on when he/she prescribes a new one, and if you shop around and use a new pharmacy, make sure to ask the pharmacist there is New Med has any contraindications with Med A, B, or C you are already on (from a different pharmacy).

I love our Osco, I swear some of the women behind the counter have been there the 24+ years we have used the place.  Bummer BCBS raised our co-pays this year. 

Wow, what a great reminder.  Do you just call and ask the prices or are there websites that tell you them?

I’m curious how to do the shopping around, too.

If I don’t go to cvs (the one I’m required to go to if I’d care for my Insurance to do what it’s intended to do...but I totally have a choice. Wink-wink.) dining just tell them I dthink my have insurance or don’t want to use it?

I did a combination.  Start with the Good RX website as it will give you a good overview of cash costs of different pharmacies. I also went in person to talk to the pharmacist at CVS.  I like her and she was able to tell me exactly what I would be paying going through my insurance.

Even with insurance, high deductibles and co-pays can make it cheaper to pay out of pocket somewhere else.  My insurance requires that I use CVS. . .but I'm saving $$$ by going somewhere else and just paying cash.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So I had to re-fill another prescription today (first time this calendar year).  When I arrived at the pharmacy, I asked them what the cost would be before they rang me up:  $1,250 for 90 days.

I asked if they could fill just 30 days, as I have a discount co-pay card for 30-day refill co-pays of only $10.  The drug manufacturer would cover the rest.  I even offered to get a new 30-day script from the doctor if needed since the current one is for 90 day refills. The pharmacist didn't think that would work since many insurance programs require long-term drugs to be filled for 90 days but she was willing to try.

It worked!  So, I paid $10 for 30 days rather than $1,250 for 90 days.  *whew*

If you are on an expensive drug, don't forget to check for manufacturer coupons/discount cards.

• Like 5