Menu

semester grades on transcript

I include first and second semester grades. Since transcripts are usually required before the completion of the second semester, I list those classes as "work in progress." I record the grades at the end of our school year and submit the final transcript to colleges/universities.

ETA that none of the universities where my daughters applied used Common App so my reply may not help with your situation.

Edited by Juliegmom
  • Like 1

What about when you are asked for a mid year report from the Common App?  Do you provide semester grades in a different document?  

For the mid year report, I put the final grades for all completed, i.e. one semester long, courses in the one column I have for grades for senior year.

Courses in progress were not assigned a mid year grade, just a note that the course has not yet been completed.

• Like 2

Regarding the Mid Year Report: If this is for a school where your dc hasn't yet been admitted, submitting (great) semester grades may be beneficial to a borderline applicant. It may also help with merit aid. 

Just a thought if you're considering leaving most classes as "In Progress"...

• Like 1

I only list one grade on the transcript--the end of year grade for yearlong courses or the end of semester grade for semester courses. It's clear from the credits column whether it was a yearlong course (1.0 credit) or a semester course (0.5). 

I had this same question about what to do for the Common App Mid-Year Report. Someone on the boards suggested doing a separate document, which is what I ended up doing after much playing around with my transcript.  I just titled it "Mid-Year Report", included the relevant student identification (name, CAID, graduation date, a chart/list of First Semester Courses (course title, credits, semester grade), another chart/list of planned Second Semester Courses all marked as IP in the "grade" column, the same Key to Grading I used on my transcript (A: 90-100% etc.), a Notes section, signature as "Homeschool Parent/Administrator" like on the official transcript, and date. I submitted the original "Official Transcript" w/ grades through end of junior year (again) + the Mid-Year Report to the Common App.

In the notes section of one son's Mid-Year Report, I explained why he would only be completing one semester of a planned yearlong course and that he would complete the second semester during the summer. (Only the first, completed semester will be on his final transcript, obviously, since the second semester will be completed after the graduation date. I wanted them to know, though, that he would be completing the full course.)

I used the notes section of the other son's MYR to state that there were no changes since the original Counselor Report was submitted.

Haven't heard any complaints or requests to do it differently from the schools to which my sons applied, so I'm hoping what I did was sufficiently clear.

• Like 3