Menu

Yet *another* serious R&S Math Question

Jan Lyn

Ladies,

I have been following all these math threads because I have a daughter who has great difficulty in math. She is in grade 6 and we've tried countless programs. I've come to terms with it just being her difficult subject and perhaps some learning disability there, as she forgets what I teach on a Friday, by Monday. She is VERY bright in english and other subjects.

So, I have found she needs repetition and lots of it. I have also realized that she cannot view math on a computor, so programs of that nature are out. We have settled on Rod and Staff. I was glad to know that it went up to grade 8.

After reading the lastest thread on this today, I am concerned with the comments that grade 7 and 8 are not good preparation and a student could not go directly into upper level math. Since I think we need to stay the course with her, what would be a math that would make sense to enter into in grade 9 after completing R&S?

This particular daughter already knows what she would like to do as a career and that is dog grooming and walking. She would like to go to community college 2 years, dog grooming school and then eventually open her own dog grooming business. So, that is the type of math she will need...skills to keep records, receipts, taxes, etc. Hubby is a bit upset over this, as the other two are college bound, some how if we can afford it. I'm actually quite happy for her, as I see it as a perfect fit and see the market for it in our area. At the same time, we are watching college grads be unable to locate work.

So....any thoughts? I'd so appreciate any advice or ideas for her math sequence. This has gotten me a bit worried this morning!

Janice

I've read more than one review from folks who said that R&S absolutely prepared their dc for upper-level maths.

After reading the lastest thread on this today, I am concerned with the comments that grade 7 and 8 are not good preparation and a student could not go directly into upper level math. Since I think we need to stay the course with her, what would be a math that would make sense to enter into in grade 9 after completing R&S?

QUOTE=Janice Lyn;51665]Ladies,

After reading the lastest thread on this today, I am concerned with the comments that grade 7 and 8 are not good preparation and a student could not go directly into upper level math.

Janice

Janice,

It's a matter of degree - good, better or best. R&S math is a GOOD math program. What is good for one dc may not be good for another dc.

My ds went from R&S math 8 into algebra and is doing fine. But I found a math program (CLE) that will do a better job for US. After comparing several math programs, I found that most homeschool math includes algebra earlier and more of it than R&S math. My standard R&S math advice is that after R&S math 6 choose a pre-algebra program from another source than R&S.

It depends on which algebra program your dc takes after grade 8 - there are easy and more difficult algebra programs (TT vs. Chalkdust, etc.). Which algebra program you go to after R&S math will also determine whether R&S math was sufficient for YOUR dc or not. Also it depends on your family's goals of what level of difficulty of math is acceptable to get you where you want to go. Your dc's goals do not require high math skills.

Blessings,

We have settled on Rod and Staff. I was glad to know that it went up to grade 8.

So....any thoughts? I'd so appreciate any advice or ideas for her math sequence. This has gotten me a bit worried this morning!

Janice

I started using R&S 2 and 4 last year with my kids, and plan to continue all the way through book 8. I switched *because* I had seen descriptions of its thoroughness here on these boards, and *because* I'd read over and over again that it *would* prepare my dc for high school math.

If you are happy with it, and your daughter is learning through the R&S methods, then stick with it, as was your plan.

You can also ask at the high school board for suggestions on high school math to use after R&S math 8. Ask the math gurus there if they think R&S through book 8 will prepare for upper level math. It has been my impression over the last several years of reading these boards, that most think it is good preparation.

...up through grade 7, and my kids went directly into algebra (Foerster's), no problem. I went ahead and purchased the 8th grade text, to use on and off, alongside algebra, just to keep other math skills fresh; that's how much I think of this series.

I'm continuing to use it with younger kids, and I can't think of a single thing that isn't covered, that would trip a child up, going into higher math.

This has been very helpful to me. Infact, when I made the switch, I started my daughter in the beginning of the grade 6 book even though she has progressed some into the sixth grade year and we are midway. It is good, solid review. I liked what I saw so much, that I purchased it for my younger daughter.

I feel better about it now and will stay with it to see how sticking to one program goes. Honestly, we changed so much, that was even detrimental. Problem is, when I purchased my book lots they were really new off ebay, but included 2 student books in each lot. So I have an extra for both grades 3 and 6 to sell now! It shouldn't be a problem, but my bookshelves are overflowing and it is time to post more to make room!

Thanks again, for your sharing with me.

Janice

Hi Janice,

I'm very pleased with R&S Math. We've used grades 3, 4, 5, & 6 so far. I forgot, we are also doing R&S Math 1 this year too. It's so easy to forget my little one. Anyway, I've been asking about CLE math because my oldest son really needs a year of review before moving into Algebra (to allow him to mature a little more). I was planning on R&S Math 8, but I'm also considering CLE because it is not quite as teacher intensive.

Changing doesn't mean the program is bad, but something else might be a better fit for that particular child. If your daughter needs repetition, then R&S math may be a good fit for her. I would recommend calling R&S for their sample curriculum by grade level and a scope & sequence booklet.

My son went directly from R&S 7 into algebra, and it was a seamless transition. He is now on to geometry, and his years of R&S have served him well.

I didn't read the posts claiming R&S doesn't prepare a student well enough, but base on our experience I would have to disagree.