Menu

What to do about CLE Science 200

Rockhopper

I need to "externally process" this and get feedback. :-)

We love CLE math. It is working so well for both my girls.

Because CLE math was going so well, and because my youngest (7 yo) LOVES animals, and because I was looking to add a (somewhat) independent class for her, and to integrate reading practice into another subject for her, I decide to get CLE's second grade science, "Animals - A Gift from God."

Each lesson has a short amount of reading and then some comprehension questions. A lot of times, in CLE style, there are some review questions at the beginning also.

For reading practice, it's going well. Right lexile level.

For the comprehension/writing answers part, it's also going well. Just the right level -- writing out sentence answers is a challenge but not overwhelming.

For the science part...

Well, there's the problem. Honestly, this child lives and breathes animals. Nearly all her play is animal-focused and most of her learning synthesis has come through the lens of animal study (i.e. word roots from what the big science words mean, measurements and estimation from animal sizes, all that delightful to watch, best of homeschooling learning).

So there's really not anything new here for her. She has so far been familiar with every animal the book has introduced. But I'd probably be inclined to keep her going for the reading/comprehension stuff IF it weren't for the fact that--

IT IS RIDDLED WITH ERRORS. That *she* points out, all the time. In a very frustrated voice. According to the worktext 202, "the weather in a rain forest is always warm." She has NOT TRUE! written above it. Likewise, it says that deserts are always hot... Stuff like this. Penguins live in Antarctica, where it's cold. 

I get that there's a certain amount of simplification that's necessary to make the information accessible to the age group. And I recognize that her level of knowledge on the topic(s) isn't normal for the age group. But where's the line between appropriate simplification and accuracy?

So, if you've made it this far, here are my dilemmas:

Do I keep her doing these for the reading/independent work/etc? Use the errors as teaching/critical reading moments? 

Do I scrap it? If so (actually, I guess, whether I scrap it or keep it) what can I add that would challenge/increase her animal knowledge without overwhelming her or destroying her enthusiasm?

I would scrap it.  You paid money for something bad.  Is it worth throwing your daughter's time and effort at it as well?

You could try Mystery Science - they have units on animals, food chains, and animal needs.  They have free sign ups right now for the rest of the year.

Or Winter Promise's Animals And Their Worlds

BFSU

A unit or two from Moving Beyond The Page

Evan Moor Daily Science

I wouldn't keep doing something bad.  You're relying on being able to know when the information is false in a product that is shoddily made.

ETA - Mr. Q's Life Science is free, too, and might be a good option. 

Edited by HomeAgain

Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I guess I just needed that affirmation of my own gut instinct. 

Out it goes, and I'm excited to have a fun evening looking at your suggestions. I don't have a lot of $$ left in the education budget right now (theater for two teens -- eek!) but some of these look affordable and fun. And truthfully, she does so much on her own -- so fun for her, and maybe a little bit of structure to orient her learning, and we'll be good. I'll just use something else around the house to give her independent text reading/answer writing practice.

Okbud, the Zoobooks look great. She would love them! She has been reading and re-reading a rather graphic shark book at bedtime for the last several weeks, and we're both ready for something new. :-)

• Like 1

That's so disappointing. I have only looked at a few science programs and workbooks, and have not seen CLE, but those that I've seen are disappointing in early elementary. Maybe they don't have errors (although many do), but they contain information that is so basic, they're busywork. And science, I would argue, is the worst subject for busywork, because pretty much everything a little kid does in the way of experiencing the world is a more scientific experience than sitting at the table filling in blanks.

The good thing about the animal interest is that there are so many beautiful and fantastic children's books on this theme. If your daughter is a strong reader, why not give her a pile to choose from and work from there? I love using the NSTA book list. If you have a decent library, that can save you from spending any  more on science this year. I've found that when my kids are enthusiastic about a subject, I don't need to do things to help them retain the information, but you could always have her do some narration or copywork with these books (with an illustration if she enjoys drawing animals) and have her make a notebook of that. I have a friend who is always reminding me that at this age, the most important thing to retain is enthusiasm for a subject and curiosity, not facts (a reminder I clearly need), which seems especially true when it comes to science. (But hey-- that doesn't excuse a curriculum for making so many errors!)

• Like 1