Menu

Help! Burn Msg on Instant Pot w/Chili

Familia

I am quickly looking everywhere, but no luck yet.  I know one of you can help me...chili is in the IP after browning and mixing in beans, etc.  

Recipe (Amy & Jacky's recipe) said to, after mixing, pour tomatoes on top to avoid burn during pressure cook cycle.  One minute out of ten in and the dreaded burn message.  What do I do?  TIA!

So far this is what I have done:  added 1 more cup of water, used a silicone spatula to stir and lift from the bottom, helping the liquid get to the bottom, yet keeping the tomatoes on top as the recipe advised.  I will admit that I did halve the water thinking that thicker chili from the get go would be better.

Yikes, now "Burn" appears again 5 minutes in!

I suppose I should give up and pour it into a regular pot for stovetop?

I would stop the IP and try to salvage the meal on the Stovetop.

I have never burned anything in the IP! Sounds like that recipe had low liquid to begin with. I make chili with tomatoes mixed in the liquid and it's always been fine. You can summer at the end to reduce liquid if it's too runny, or leave some liquid in the pot.

• Like 2

I would stop the IP and try to salvage the meal on the Stovetop.

I have never burned anything in the IP! Sounds like that recipe had low liquid to begin with. I make chili with tomatoes mixed in the liquid and it's always been fine. You can summer at the end to reduce liquid if it's too runny, or leave some liquid in the pot.

Thank you.  I gave it a third try, and, this time, it actually smells burnt.  Didn't quite get up to pressure, but it tried longer this time.  Pouring into CP.  So disappointed!

I make chili regularly in mine but prefer to brown hamburger meat in a separate skillet. The recipe I use also calls for more liquid than a stovetop one would. I adjust ingredients when following recipes for my IP, but I don’t mess with the recommended liquid amounts.

• Like 1

Thick chili and the Instant Pot do not go well together.  If your liquid isn't thin enough, it can't create steam and without steam the instant pot can't cook.  Tomatoes are also tricky in the Instant Pot.  They have a lot of sugar in them and have the potential to burn.

Sounds like the 1 cup of water you added still wasn't enough thin liquid for the IP to work, which gave you the burn notice again.  

Edited by mom2samlibby

You need to deglaze the bottom of he pot for burn to go away. I make thick chili on mine and after I sauté the beef, I remove the beef and deglaze the pot with a bit of water or stock. Then add liquid ingredients and then the beef.

To deglaze- you need to kind of scrap the bottom of the pot not just stir liquid.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

I make my chili with the saute feature and I use pre-cooked beans.  I know they sell glass lids to simmer, but I haven't ever used one.  I brown my meat and onions and garlic together on saute, then add the tomatoes and beans and spices.  Sometimes I have to use a second cycle of the saute button, but usually I just switch over to keep warm....and the timing issue is about getting the family to the table.