Menu

what can I do now before my upcoming class?

Taking this course:

MAT210   Discrete Structures: Logic & Proof

This course provides an introduction to the non-continuous side of mathematics. The course focuses on techniques of mathematical proof including mathematical induction, direct proof,indirect proof, and proof by contradiction. Topics include relations and functions, symbolic logic and predicate calculus, number thoery, combinatorial methods as well as an introduction to graph theory.

Using this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0495826170/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3341940462&pd_rd_wg=gojHH&pf_rd_r=0A9Q8SMX56BT3B6K1VZW&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=0495826170&pd_rd_w=NUZ0n&pf_rd_i=discrete+mathematics&pd_rd_r=8d586d35-17da-455a-89d3-596f76dc0f1e&ie=UTF8&qid=1513968011&sr=1

Which will be here next week sometime.  Course starts the 16th. 

What could I start reviewing? 

I previewed some of my graduate statistics classes with some Youtube videos and Khan Academy. One time I found an entire lecture series on my exact book through a different university. It was really useful. You might want to take a peek and see if there are some videos. (I really don't know what you class so I can't be more specific.)

• Like 1

The author is "famous" enough for Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanna_S._Epp

I was concerned because Amazon says "1st edition" but it seems to be the first print for the "Brief Edition".

Maybe someone can recommend another author to supplement. I always like another "view".

I took this decades ago so not much help here.

Hopefully you will have a good instructor - Discrete Math can be a little dry compared to something like Partial Differential Equations  :coolgleamA:

Good luck

I loved discrete math. It was one of my favorite classes and the reason I changed my major to mathematics. 

It was the logic and proof that kicked the rears of many students. 

It covers such a variety of stuff that it's hard to say anything specific to review. I'd probably just make sure chapter 1 was familiar and go ahead and start on chapter 2. Make sure the examples make sense, see if you can write them down, close the book, and work them yourself the next day, that sort of thing. 

• Like 1

Haha..yeah...first order of business...what is wrong with YOUR BOOK and not with my math ability....

I was concerned because Amazon says "1st edition" but it seems to be the first print for the "Brief Edition".

If either of you are bored, you can read her other book Discrete Mathematics with Applications 4th edition online as someone has put it up http://home.aubg.edu/students/ANA160/ebooksclub.org__Discrete_Mathematics_with_Applications.pdf

I previewed some of my graduate statistics classes with some Youtube videos and Khan Academy. One time I found an entire lecture series on my exact book through a different university. It was really useful. You might want to take a peek and see if there are some videos. (I really don't know what you class so I can't be more specific.)

Oh yeah these have both been extremely helpful.  At the risk of sounding like an old bitty....kids these days have no idea how easy they have it with these resources!!

• Like 2

There is a Great Courses video class on Discrete Math that covers much of the material you mention.  The instructor is very entertaining.  Check you library to see if they have a copy.

(that course is on sale now)

on that site at least someone thinks it is a complete course:

Is this course equivalent to the college level Discrete Mathematics?

TGCSoxGuy · 2 years agoThis person is one of the top10 contributors of useful reviews.
Yes. Prof. Benjamin teaches in 24 30-minute lectures all of the core concepts that would appear in a college-level course on the subject. While our courses are not accredited, it matches the content of an equivalent college course and can be useful for someone who needs to take the course or needs an understanding of its concepts as a foundation for other courses

the instructor 

"that all of our students, every high school graduate should know -- should be statistics: probability and statistics"

https://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_s_formula_for_changing_math_education>

It wouldn't be equivalent to the class sparkly is taking ("The course doesn't delve into the mathematical logic and proofs of Discrete Mathematics, but focuses more on practical problem solving with real world examples.") however, having prior familiarity with the material would help a lot with the logic and proofs part of the class -- it's a lot easier to prove something if you're convinced it's true yourself. 

• Like 1