Menu

Small bumps on child's arms -- Paging Dr. Hive!

AimeeM

We have a dermatology appointment, but it isn't until later in January and, having seen this derm before myself, I'm actually not thrilled with the idea of DS seeing him, so I may make him an appointment at the children's outpatient center instead.

Since birth essentially, DS8 has had small white and skin colored bumps on his arms. Only recently have they started also moving to his cheeks and now they itch, which causes them to become red and angry looking. I looked at a couple and pressed on them, and they appear to have some sort of discharge in them -- almost like acne. Not all of them, but the ones that were itching him. I put some triple antibiotic on those that were scratched and/or opened. The bumps become noticeably worse after baths, but I'm already giving him the bare minimum baths weekly because they've always been worse the day or so after a bath. 

DS5 has the same on his arms, but to a much lesser extent and they don't bother him (much like DS8's bumps at his age, actually). 

I do try to put lotion on DS8 after his baths, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything helpful. I can recall having similar bumps on my arms as a child, but they went away in early adulthood (or the late teenage years). And mine were, as DS5's are, only on the backs of my upper arms -- with DS8 they are all the way down his arm. 

He does have a history of medical issues, but this seems more related to some sort of genetic skin condition, as I had it as a child and DS5 has it as well. 

I can't find anything when googling, really. Most of what pops up are references to things like measles, etc., which doesn't make sense considering the lack of other symptoms, the family history, and the longevity of the bumps. 

This same DS does seem to be prone also to skin issues. He's almost 9 and still has pretty bad cradle cap. 

My sister had similar bumps all through childhood and on into adulthood. My mother’s totally unscientific diagnosis was to call these “oil bumps.†I think her notion was that it was a type of acne.

My sister quit eating gluten and her life-long “oil bumps†went away. Correlation, of course, does not equal causation, but I do find that very interesting. It is possible there is a link, like an auto-immune response type of thing.

BTW, I have almost never heard of anyone having these bumps besides my sister.

• Like 1

That looks like it! His might be irritated if he inherited my "dry winter skin," considering the season. Right now they look much larger and angrier than the pictures, but typically they look exactly like that. Now I feel awful for chasing him down and pinching at a couple. I was worried about the ones he was scratching and darn determined to figure out was was "inside" them. 

I put some cortisone cream on his upper arms for tonight, to help the itch. 

I would go GF with him if it weren't for the autism and related sensory issues related to foods. He only eats a handful of foods as it is and only weighs in at around 38 lbs, so I really hesitate to change his diet. He is not a kid who will eat what is served when he's "hungry enough," so I typically give him whatever he's willing to eat.

This didn't pop up when I googled. Thank you so much! 

• Like 1

Gold Bond makes an OTC treatment called Rough and Bumpy skin that works pretty well if applied regularly. This should help especially if they are bothering him enough that he is scratching at them.

I had KP on my arms and cheeks as a kid and my youngest does as well. I outgrew it and my son has started to, after hitting puberty. His did lessen in severity significantly when we limited his diary intake.

Edited by mom2att
  • Like 2