Menu

Dentures.....tell me the good, the bad and the ugly about dentures

Ottakee

We are not quite to this point but I have 2 kids with very very poor teeth. It is genetics. They brush way better than my 3rd (different bio family/genetics) but have much worse teeth and the poor brusher, pop drinker, etc has no cavities.

I am not sure how much more we can do with crowns and bridges, etc. They are $$$$ and not a permanent solution.

I am afraid dentures might be on the horizon. Any experience with dentures for someone in their 20s and 30s?

My mom got them by about 30 and sad she has no regrets and still has the same ones 40 years later. I am assuming that the technology and fit has improved greatly in 40 years.

I hate thinking about this but yet wonder if it would be better than constant very expensive (way above insurance coverage) dental work that has a limited life expectancy.

Hmm...I got some this year at 49.  Hate them.  They sit in the drawer and never make it out.  They are for my lower back molars on both sides, I can do without them.   :glare:

(Someday I'm sure I will regret this choice of not wearing them)

I don’t have the answers but questions I have from bits and pieces that I have heard are:

A). Do dentures lead to bone loss? I was told that they do, while implants don’t.

B). If there is a space for a partial denture and you don’t keep wearing them can your teeth move? I was told that they could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

She had one implant that cost $$$ but it broke. She is disabled and on medicaid so any dental work beyond fillings is private pay.

I am wondering at what point are we putting too much money into something that won't last. This work is a significant part of our income and a strain but yet we want her to have nice teeth.

Not specifically about dentures, but I know virtually a few people who went to Mexico for dental work....implants and dentures and were very happy with the experience.  You may want to do some research as the lower cost, but similar standard of care, may expand your options.

• Like 1