Menu

Hard to find gifts for kids

amo_mea_filiis.

I'm trying to decide what to do for 5 kids for Christmas. They're 10mo, 3, 7, 9, and 12. 

Toys, books, electronics, and clothes are out. They'd get destroyed very quickly. Clothes would only get one use. Same goes for bedding, pillows, stuffed animals. 

The kids would greatly appreciate toiletries, but again it would all be destroyed. I may still put together a basket from Dollar Tree, but with very minimal stuff. 

I could clean and organize their rooms to some level of functioning, but I know it would be time wasted. Still, I'm seriously considering it. However, I wouldn't do this until after New Year's so there's a slightly better chance of it lasting more than 10 seconds. 

Any experience gifts would be on me to take the kids. I don't like taking any 2 (or more) of them together, and am not sure I want to do 4 or 5 different things (I know the baby wouldn't miss anything). 

Carbs, candy, and soda is the daily diet, so I'm not giving a single treat gift.

I will grab some bottles for the baby because even though they won't last long, they're really inexpensive. Maybe a sippy cup for the 3yo so she doesn't keep insisting on using bottles. 

For each of the kids' birthdays, they just spend the night. We play, eat, have a small dessert, watch a movie, get a good shower, and a good night's sleep. 

What's your price range?

Do they go outside to play?

Do they have any needs to fill?

I would probably go toward this direction:

-Indestructibles books for the 10mo.

-Crayola wonder or aquadoodle for the 3yo, or bathtub toy set.

-single use craft sets for the 7, 9, and 12yos.  Something like Kiwicrate or something from Michaels, where it doesn't matter if its destroyed after they craft it.

• Like 2

What's your price range? Low-ish

Do they go outside to play? Very, very rarely, unless someone is with me.

Do they have any needs to fill? Most needs need to be filled, but nothing I can give. I do provide when I have someone.

I would probably go toward this direction:

-Indestructibles books for the 10mo.

-Crayola wonder or aquadoodle for the 3yo, or bathtub toy set.

-single use craft sets for the 7, 9, and 12yos.  Something like Kiwicrate or something from Michaels, where it doesn't matter if its destroyed after they craft it.

Your ideas are awesome!!!

The 9yo is a craft lover. 3 and 7 would probably love color wonder.

Do they make books meant to be mouthed? The tub books have fairly sharp edges. 

Edited by amo_mea_filiis.
  • Like 2

Do they make books meant to be mouthed? The tub books have fairly sharp edges. 

Indestructibles are Tyvek (like military maps). They can't be destroyed by being torn, eaten, or mangled.  Cut, yes, but for the rest they're good to go.  I have seriously thrown ours in the washing mashine after a mishap.  And they feel like regular paper books.  They're reasonably priced at about $4/each right now.

• Like 2

Keeping in the line of what you already mentioned (bottles and sippy), you could get each of the older kids a good plastic (unbreakable) mug of their own, the same style but in different colors. Growing up, our kids had some, and they took them with them when they left home, they were so attached to them. Another practical option would be a fleece throw each (Walmart usually has some inexpensive ones) or a colorful towel each. That might not sound like as much fun as toys, but kids often enjoy having their "own" things like that.

Keeping in the line of what you already mentioned (bottles and sippy), you could get each of the older kids a good plastic (unbreakable) mug of their own, the same style but in different colors. Growing up, our kids had some, and they took them with them when they left home, they were so attached to them. Another practical option would be a fleece throw each (Walmart usually has some inexpensive ones) or a colorful towel each. That might not sound like as much fun as toys, but kids often enjoy having their "own" things like that.

I do usually get them a little blanket from Walmart because they’re only $2. This becomes a problem when things are dirty. If the 3yo’s blanket gets dirty, one of the older 2 will have to let her use it. Or if a blanket is within reach when changing the baby, it might be used for that as well.

They would love their own cups, but if a cup were on the floor, the 7 or 3 would use it as a stepping stone and crack it. For the most part, dishes are used a handful of time before being thrown out.

They usually get a pair of pajamas and love them, but they’re gone by January.

I was also thinking of a toothbrush holder that goes on the wall. I found one for $3 that holds 5 toothbrushes.

Maybe I’ll just wait and see what they get from the parents and Christmas program.

That is all so sad. It sounds what hey really need is for their parents to have better life skills, but there's little you could do about that. It sounds like they will have gifts under the tree, so I would focus on building memories that make them feel the magic of Christmas.

Maybe you could do "experiences" with them - get them each a pair of Christmas jammies and then go for a drive to look at lights with a travel mug of cocoa? If they can spend the night, you could do a special pancake breakfast while listening to Christmas music and cut out paper snowflakes. Is there a zoo nearby that does lights? Maybe take them somewhere to visit Santa or do some Christmas crafts with them (at the library?). Is there a place where choirs take turns giving performances? A parade? If you have snow, can you go sledding? Whatever you do, I would take lots of photos.

Edited by ondreeuh

If you have them at your house often, could you buy gifts for them that stay at your house? Kind of an "I love you so much, I wanted to have things just for you at my house." Then they can look forward to their special gift when they come over. Maybe it could give you a way to teach them about respect for property.

Thank you for reaching out to this family; you are making a difference!