Menu

Bone Broth question

Chris in VA

I didn't have bones, exactly, so I used a bunch of chicken leg quarters, and 2 pork hocks. (Herbs de Provence, carrots, onion, celery and apple cider vin also added.)

It has been simmering for a couple of hours--should I take out the meat, debone it, and stick the bones back in? I may want to use the meat in a recipe (can't see it going to waste), but I know 2 hours isn't enough time to get all the good stuff out of the bones. I want to cook the bones another 2-3 hours. 

Can I make bone broth this way?

If you want the meat out, take it out and put the bones back in. Should make no difference at all. I have always kept to the "rule" that the bones should simmer close to 12 hours to get the best result. I have never let it go 24 hours because of time constraints.

Oh wow, that's really long. I am using Dr. Kellyann's Bone Broth Diet recipe. I will let it go as long as I can! Thanks. I pulled the meat off and put it up to freeze for soup and such during the next few months. Broth looks and smells good, but I definitely think I will do more bones next time. I am hoping for a gelatinous broth. Eww. That sounds gross, doesn't it? LOL

In the future, don't cook the chicken meat more than an hour or so.  Just till cooked through, anyway, or it will become flavorless.  

My best broth comes from chickens I have roasted. I remove the meat and put the bones, skin, and any juices/fat that have come from roasting, and simmer that for several hours.  With the instant pot it's much quicker.  I put a tiny bit of vinegar in with the bones and consider it done when a leg bone will break easily in my fingers. 

Yep definitely pull the meat out and put the bones back in.  

My bone broths tend to be all over the place.  Ideally for me, I need to save up about 3 chicken carcasses to boil before I get a gelatinous broth, but I've had broths with less bones gel, and broths with 3 carcasses that didn't gel.  *shurg*  Apparently, if you are really going for gelatin, you should ask your butcher for chicken FEET- like 20 of 'em, and toss those in!