Menu

Chemistry ideas.....

So, for next year I have been thinking about using Dr Wile’s new chemistry book.... Discovering Design with Chemistry.

But, I also want to go through Theodore Grays Elements. And Molecules.

And use Crash Course Chemistry videos as well.

Would that be too much? I’m afraid I’ll oush these stars to the side and end up not using them, but I really want to.

Or has anyone created their own honors chemistry course using Crash Course, Elements and Molecules, a lab kit, and ..... well a book ?

Thanks

GPB has updated their chemistry (and physics?) videos. Could be a good supplement. 

I used the old version of physics for one of mine. I bought a cd-rom that had both chem and physics on it, though student's work was available free at the site. Not sure if it still is. Then the cd-rom for both subjects was ~$35. Not sure if they're still combined, since chem was redone first. 

HTH.

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 1

I looked at the new GPB chem videos and was not impressed.  The old ones are better and are still online:  http://www.gpb.org/chemistry-study-of-matter  

OP, you could have your dc focus on the Wile text and let him use the other materials as needed or as time is available.  Until he gets into it, it's hard to know exactly how long chemistry will take for each student.  We watched Crash Course videos during lunch, so no extra time was taken needed.

• Like 1

But, I also want to go through Theodore Grays Elements. And Molecules.

And use Crash Course Chemistry videos as well.

Would that be too much? I’m afraid I’ll oush these stars to the side and end up not using them, but I really want to.

My kids finished the two Theodore Gray’s books at the library for leisure reading. You can do those books slowly over summer as a ramp up to the academic year.

We use the Crash Course videos for all subjects as bedtime movies.

ETA:

Theodore Gray has apps too. We tried the free one http://apps.theodoregray.com/the-elements/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

OP here......Thank you, ladies... I will look more at GPB.

My DS is a history kid, so doing extra science may not get done ..... but I want to. Now, watching science videos during lunch we used to do. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. That could work.

DD would easily read through the Theodore Gray books, she loves that kind of thing. Hmmm, maybe as a summer reading would work... improbably have to get the Wile books to know more exactly.

Thank you