Menu

G.I. Diet Anyone Tried it

My Mom has successfully used the GI and GL (glycemic load) to stay off medication for Type 2 diabetes for several years now. My husband was dx Type 2 over a year ago, and is on medication. I often wonder if we switched to a low GI/GL diet if DH would be able to get off the Metformin.

G/L to you! I do think it's a healthy way of eating. FWIW I believe South Beach Diet is LG, but am not 100% sure.

I'm gestational diabetic and while I haven't seen any of the low GI cookbooks, I've been making a very close study of the GI index! I'm 29 weeks and have managed to keep off insulin so far. I sure couldn't do that if I wasn't eating low GI! Especially since gestational diabetes goes 'turbo' at around 28 weeks. I can't even eat a whole serving of grains anymore, even the low GI (like barley) and have to get the majority of my carbs from legumes. Acid helps regulate blood sugars too, so I was putting vinegar on my salads, and actually did notice a difference. It's not just low GI foods, but when you have your meals too. Spreading your carbs over 6 small meals a day, preferably at similar times each day, makes a big difference. Supper is very important for keeping your bloods stable over night, so try and have dinner early enough that you can fit in a small supper before bed.

:)

Rosie

Not really but I have been off sugar for a while now and it is fantastic- I highly recommend it.

A friend who i saw recently, who is pre-diabetic, is on the low GI and he and his wife feel much better for it and it has controlled his blood sugar completely.

The thing is, once you get off the sugar see saw, you stop craving it.

One thing....my friend introduced me to Agave Nectar. It is super sweet,sweeter than sugar, but low GI- suitable for diabetics. I havent done a heap of research, but I am having a little in tea and on plain yoghurt and its yummy and completely compensates me for not having normal sugar. You can cook with it too.

To tell the truth I am not completely convinced of the Agave nectar- it seems a bit too good to be true- I would be interested in what anyone else finds on it. I just did a quick search, and trusted my friend's word, but I might do some more research.