Menu

Sooo Shea Moisture shampoo...

6packofun

I've heard so many good things about this shampoo, so I picked some up at Walmart.  It only occurred to me later that it was at the edge (or IN?) the section for "ethnic hair" or whatever the proper term is.  (So sorry if that's not the right way to say it; I think that's what the sign said!)

I know the company was started and is owned by African Americans, but I still didn't think about if it's *formulated* for a very specific type of hair or not.  Is that even a thing?  I assume anyone can use any hair products they like and then came across some stuff online where black ladies are kinda mad that white ladies are using it?!  LOL  Who knew?

Do caucasian women use this?  Will it be SUPER heavy on my dry hair?  I don't want to try it unless I know it will work for anyone who needs a deep moisturizing shampoo but I'm clueless about how hair products differ from one another!!  Help!   :laugh:  Should I try just the shampoo or conditioner rather than both?  Just give me the scoop.

I am caucasian and I have used that shampoo and conditioner. My hair is thick and has coarse, wavy strands mixed in. These aspects of my hair led me to scan the web for best hair products and that was one that was recommended. I do think the intention is for hair that is not delicate, fine white-girl hair. That product would probably make fine hair look like a limp greaseball. But my hair is not like that and the product works well on my hair, even if I do not have truly “ethnic†hair.

I did not continue to use this product, just as an aside, because it doesn’t really lather. Call it psychological, but I “need†lather to feel like my hair is being affected. I currently use products by HASK.

• Like 1

I like the Shea Moisture coconut curly shampoo but don’t use the conditioners and styling products in that line because they seem to dry my hair out. Different products work on different people, and you won’t know how it will affect your hair unless you try it. I found a combination of products that works pretty well for me, and 2/3 are from the ethnic hair care section.

Edited by Word Nerd