Menu

NaNoWriMo 2017 Support and Chat thread

scrapbookbuzz

I write year round. Except when I'm editing. Then I rewrite. :laugh: I try for three hours of writing time a day, or around 2000 words, or 2 chapters edited, whichever comes first.

So....are you writing books that you hope to have/have been published, writing for a blog, freelance content writer, all of the above, or something else?

I do want to continue with the book I've started and see where it takes me.  But also I'm wondering what other roads writing may take me down.  

During the last 29 days I have not had to force myself to sit down and write once or regretted this challenge.  I have throughly enjoyed it and want to continue.  

• Like 1

So....are you writing books that you hope to have/have been published, writing for a blog, freelance content writer, all of the above, or something else?

I do want to continue with the book I've started and see where it takes me.  But also I'm wondering what other roads writing may take me down.  

During the last 29 days I have not had to force myself to sit down and write once or regretted this challenge.  I have throughly enjoyed it and want to continue.  

I am writing books I hope to have published. I've got one manuscript close to the point where I'm ready to go agent hunting. I also write poetry, and one of my pieces may be published this spring, depending on where the magazine wants to put it. 

I've written some non-fiction personal stories, but I'm not sure what to do with them at this point.

• Like 1

My typical writing day is 500 words in the morning after chores. No more than 500. I'm not a morning writer, but it primes the pump and I find myself thinking over the scene development during the day. Around two or three in the afternoon, I show up at my desk ready to write, plug in some music if I need it, and write 1000 to 1500. 

I won't edit any first draft stuff. I typically read it through when I'm done, try to figure out where it's taking me, and rewrite the sucker two to three times. Then it's time to round up beta readers and see what they think. Then rewrite again, or edit.

If I'm writing a story and trying to edit another, I try to get 1000 words on the new project and an hour or so on editing.

If I'm running dry, I might work over a character trying to tease out his full backstory. That I usually do long-hand with a list of questions to think about and just write about. Or I might get hit with a poem and need to write it out and think about it. 

I seldom have a day in the year that I don't write something story related.

• Like 2

My typical writing day is 500 words in the morning after chores. No more than 500. I'm not a morning writer, but it primes the pump and I find myself thinking over the scene development during the day. Around two or three in the afternoon, I show up at my desk ready to write, plug in some music if I need it, and write 1000 to 1500. 

I won't edit any first draft stuff. I typically read it through when I'm done, try to figure out where it's taking me, and rewrite the sucker two to three times. Then it's time to round up beta readers and see what they think. Then rewrite again, or edit.

If I'm writing a story and trying to edit another, I try to get 1000 words on the new project and an hour or so on editing.

If I'm running dry, I might work over a character trying to tease out his full backstory. That I usually do long-hand with a list of questions to think about and just write about. Or I might get hit with a poem and need to write it out and think about it. 

I seldom have a day in the year that I don't write something story related.

This is almost exactly me too. Right down to not being a morning person. My daily goals are a bit lower because of my day job and wee kids. My official goal for the day is 500 words but I normally do 1000.

My end goal is traditional publishing.

• Like 1

What genre is everyone writing in?

Who here pantsed NaNo and who plotted?

Feels bizarre to quote myself but there ya go.

I write historical romance with a strong mystery subplot.

I'm also a dedicated plotter.

• Like 1

Dark rural fantasy. No werewolves or vampires allowed, though.

I pantsed, but I am a huge planner when it comes to character. Plot is roughly put down on an expected synopsis along with some themes I'm thinking through, but I do my best to know the characters. They still surprise me, though. And I don't plot the characters--just free write through a series of questions that lead to other questions and other thoughts. 

So yeah--pantser most of the way.

• Like 1

Is there a such thing as realistic women's fiction?  

I would have to say I was a plantser.  I probably would have been more of a plotter if I had decided sooner than three weeks prior to 11/1 that I was going to do NaNo.

• Like 1

Okay I am freaking out now.  I tried uploading my text to the NaNo site and my word count bumped down to six words!!

Help!!!  

Try uploading it again. Mine went strange when I first tried also.

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 2

Try uploading it again. Mine went strange when I first tried also.

I no longer have the option at the top by my word count and I don't see a validation box in my dashboard. 

Did you change your word count and then reload it?  I don't want to mess anything up worse than I'm afraid I already have.  

I’ve been reading this thread, following your progress and wishing I’d joined in. I decided not to so I could focus on finishing the book I’ve been working on. I didn’t want to be worrying about word count, just getting the book finished. Well, we added my word count up for this month today and it’s over 68,000. I could have joined after all! Oh well.

• Like 2

I did it!  50,011 words. :)

What is the advantage to validating on the website?  I don't think I will use any of the prizes this year. A few years ago I did when you could get one book published by createspace. Anyway, any other reason to validate? I don't care if I have the certificate or not.

• Like 3

What resources does everyone use the rest of the year to keep motivated?  Is there a good forum you frequently visit?  Youtuber?  Facebook?  Twitter?

If you are wanting to get published, do you personally have an online presence (those listed above) webpage/blog for your writing?

• Like 3

What resources does everyone use the rest of the year to keep motivated?  Is there a good forum you frequently visit?  Youtuber?  Facebook?  Twitter?

If you are wanting to get published, do you personally have an online presence (those listed above) webpage/blog for your writing?

I have a writer's group and am trying to collect a nice group of Beta-readers who write. We keep each other motivated. 

I don't have an online presence, mostly due to crummy internet. This is likely to hurt me when I start looking for an agent, but there is no help for it at present.

I find that my greatest motivation is the story I'm trying to tell and the characters telling it. The more I work on my story, the better I like it and the more I want to find an audience for it. It probably helps too that the first question out of DH when he walks in is, "Did you edit today? Or write today?" He's very supportive.

• Like 3

I have a writer's group and am trying to collect a nice group of Beta-readers who write. We keep each other motivated. 

I don't have an online presence, mostly due to crummy internet. This is likely to hurt me when I start looking for an agent, but there is no help for it at present.

I find that my greatest motivation is the story I'm trying to tell and the characters telling it. The more I work on my story, the better I like it and the more I want to find an audience for it. It probably helps too that the first question out of DH when he walks in is, "Did you edit today? Or write today?" He's very supportive.

This is awesome!  Having a supportive partner can make all the difference in just how far a project makes it.  

Sadly, I have to admit that I never even told my DH that I was doing this project.  Why-he would have laughed at me and told me it would never happen.  But I've had some other really great supporters and they will encourage me to keep on going.

• Like 1

This is awesome!  Having a supportive partner can make all the difference in just how far a project makes it.  

Sadly, I have to admit that I never even told my DH that I was doing this project.  Why-he would have laughed at me and told me it would never happen.  But I've had some other really great supporters and they will encourage me to keep on going.

:sad:

• Like 1

Join 10 Minute Novelists over on FB. I love it. Such smart people and it's all writing discussion all the time.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/10MinNovelists/

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 1