Menu

Direct Buy...can anyone fill me in on this?

My parents joined and have had zero problems that i have heard about.

They purchased this bed for my kids:

http://www.livingincomfort.com/befucabedfor.html

The Direct Buy price was $950. It was ordered and shipped to them from the distributor in a shorter amount of time than was quoted (we weren't ready for it yet!).

I don't know what else the price savings were & what they bought - but they seem happy with having done it.

I know people who have been thrilled with their Direct Buy membership.

It absolutely depends on how much you plan to spend. A living room set probably isn't worth it unless you're looking at a $20,000 set, retail. On the other hand, when we were considering a $100,000 renovation, it was looking like DB would save us quite a bit of money. From windows and doors to cabinets and light fixtures, the combination of retail discounts and the elimination of contractor mark-ups makes a big difference.

If you're savvy, skip Direct Buy, it's for folks who just don't have the time to search around. We did a big remodel on the house we bought last year..most general contractors were quoting me 90k without all the appliances (all of them) and I took on the task and did the whole remodel for less than 40k..I got a double convection oven (GE Profile) that was listed as 2500 for under 700 and a French model stainless fridge priced at 2500 for under 600..they both had been marked down to about 1800 and I just kept begging...it also helped that they had seen me in there for 3 months buying tile/electrical wiring/grout/you name it...

When it comes to furniture, I rely on the Pottery Barn Outlet where my parents live..I've outfitted most of my kids rooms at 80% off their retail value and some amazing steals...5 chairs that retailed for over 2k and got them all for $200...if you take the time and just ask...you can save money...I don't think Direct Buy could ever save me the money that I did by myself....but then again, I'm very persistent in a kind way...

Tara