Menu

If your child took the ACT in middle school

How much did his or her score improve when the child took it “for real†in high school?

I read on the ACT website that a ten point increase is the usual (maybe the average increase? I can’t recall just now). I’m curious to know what WTMers actual experiences are.

My dd took it last spring as a twelve year old, the spring of her seventh grade year. Her score was the same as the average national score and a couple points higher than our state’s (these scores being the average of students of the typical grade/age to take it for college admittance). She wants to improve her score by thirteen points, and I’m wondering if it’s doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was her math score?

If she hasn't taken much high school math yet (through at least algebra 2 level) that is going to be the easiest to improve.

Her math score was her lowest (19) which is funny (but understandable) because math is her thing. She’s currently in AOPS Intro to Algebra, so at the time of testing she was in AOPS Pre Algebra.

Her math score was her lowest (19) which is funny (but understandable) because math is her thing. She’s currently in AOPS Intro to Algebra, so at the time of testing she was in AOPS Pre Algebra.

If math is her thing and she was only in prealgebra I would definitely expect her to be able to bring that score up significantly, which would do wonders for her overall score.

• Like 1

My kids are still in middle school. DS11 took at the end of 5th grade and before starting AoPS intermediate algebra. For my DS11, I know it’s possible for DS11 score to improve in high school because he took SAT twice in one year in 6th grade and had a 250 point jump. DS12 took in fall of 6th grade during AoPS intermediate algebra and had a 35 for Math for ACT and >30 composite, so less margin for scores to rise.

This pdf is by ACT

How Do 7th Graders Who Take the ACT Test Score as 11th or 12th Graders

http://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/How-Do-7th-Graders-Who-Take-the-ACT-Score-as-11th-Graders.pdf

• Like 1

Mine was in 8th and she took it again in 10th and so far has roughly the "average" jump you listed. I expect her composite to go up another 1 or 2 when she takes it again in the Spring (11th). So, 13 is not insurmountable if you start up low enough. She might have to prep for those last 2 or 3 points (say, on the science section). Math is dd's thing, too. But, she is also a fast and strong reader and it shows.

• Like 1

Mine was in 8th and she took it again in 10th and so far has roughly the "average" jump you listed. I expect her composite to go up another 1 or 2 when she takes it again in the Spring (11th). So, 13 is not insurmountable if you start up low enough. She might have to prep for those last 2 or 3 points (say, on the science section). Math is dd's thing, too. But, she is also a fast and strong reader and it shows.

Thanks for the encouragement! Dd is a strong reader, though the language portion was her highest score. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility for her to make a perfect score in language (I did about a million years ago). The science reasoning is likely where we’d concentrate our prep efforts.

Dd14 took a version of it in 6th grade (the STAR or something?) and then took the real thing earlier this summer. Her score did jump almost 10 points. Her lowest score was math. I do expect it to go up again after she takes Algebra II this year because math was her low score. I think her science and English will go up as well, as she matures.

• Like 1