Menu

Math Programs With Good Teacher/Parent Support

Derek Owens, based upon your description. You have the option to do the grading yourself at half the regular prices. In that case he gives you all the tests, solution manuals and of course some the clearest, most excellent math instruction available via video. We use his courses in both ways, grading ourselves for our youngest dd and full support including the grading of all tests and homework for our middle dd. This is working very well for our dds who definitely have different learning styles and strengths.

If you wanted a fully outsourced live solution I would say WHA which our son loves. But it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for.

Edited by dereksurfs
  • Like 3

from my limited experience, which is more on the DIY side, since out$ourcing is too much for our budget:

• Lials for algebra 1 and 2--the text has very clear teaching and examples; tests in the text; the Student Solutions Manual has worked solutions for all the odds in each lesson and all the test problems (there is an instructor solutions manual with all the answers, but we've been fine with just the Student Solutions Manual). There are DVDs to go with some editions of the books, Jann in TX's online class, or you tube videos to use if you need it.   I got older and less popular editions for cheap--I paid more for shipping than the books.

• Dolciani for Algebra 1 and 2-- not the uber elusive editions from the 60's and 70 's (though I had some of those, and I can see why mathy people geek out about them ;)), but I have Dolciani from the late 80's. MUCH easier to find the student book, teacher edition, and solutions manual on the used market.  Student book has clear examples, different levels of problems (A, B, C--the C's are challenging), reviews and tests in the student book, and easy on the eyes layout.  TM has teaching notes, different tracks for different abilities, answers (but NOT worked solutions) to all the problems and tests, alternate tests, and targeted review sections (word problems, factoring, etc.). Solutions  Manual (with worked solutions for all lesson problems) is separate--and usually the hardest part to find on the used market. I am not a natural math teacher, but I have been able to stay ahead of my math boy who is using Dolciani--it's working well for both of us. You can see samples of different Dolciani editions at openlibrary.org (account is free).

• BJU math (algebra 1, 2, geo, pre cal,  and consumer math) has TM's with worked solutions, teaching tips, and tracks for different speeds of students; there is a separate test booklet and separate answer key for the tests.  Videos available as well.  The series is from a Christian publisher, but you could just ignore all the Bible bits (at the start and end of each chapter) if you are not wanting that in your math.  The math is solid.   CBD and Rainbow Resource have samples.

• Like 2

Kind of looking for DIY, so this is very helpful.  It's for my DS next year; he's not the Saxon type for high school math, I think.

from my limited experience, which is more on the DIY side, since out$ourcing is too much for our budget:

• Lials for algebra 1 and 2--the text has very clear teaching and examples; tests in the text; the Student Solutions Manual has worked solutions for all the odds in each lesson and all the test problems (there is an instructor solutions manual with all the answers, but we've been fine with just the Student Solutions Manual). There are DVDs to go with some editions of the books, Jann in TX's online class, or you tube videos to use if you need it.   I got older and less popular editions for cheap--I paid more for shipping than the books.

• Dolciani for Algebra 1 and 2-- not the uber elusive editions from the 60's and 70 's (though I had some of those, and I can see why mathy people geek out about them ;)), but I have Dolciani from the late 80's. MUCH easier to find the student book, teacher edition, and solutions manual on the used market.  Student book has clear examples, different levels of problems (A, B, C--the C's are challenging), reviews and tests in the student book, and easy on the eyes layout.  TM has teaching notes, different tracks for different abilities, answers (but NOT worked solutions) to all the problems and tests, alternate tests, and targeted review sections (word problems, factoring, etc.). Solutions  Manual (with worked solutions for all lesson problems) is separate--and usually the hardest part to find on the used market. I am not a natural math teacher, but I have been able to stay ahead of my math boy who is using Dolciani--it's working well for both of us. You can see samples of different Dolciani editions at openlibrary.org (account is free).

• BJU math (algebra 1, 2, geo, pre cal,  and consumer math) has TM's with worked solutions, teaching tips, and tracks for different speeds of students; there is a separate test booklet and separate answer key for the tests.  Videos available as well.  The series is from a Christian publisher, but you could just ignore all the Bible bits (at the start and end of each chapter) if you are not wanting that in your math.  The math is solid.   CBD and Rainbow Resource have samples.

• Like 1

Hmmm...I've never heard of this one.

We think it's great. We did the Algebra program (covers Alg 1 & 2) in 9th grade and are doing Geometry this year. 

It has video lectures, practice problem sets, quizzes, unit exams and comprehensive exams. There are answer keys for everything. It's very conceptual, building up concepts in a rock-solid way from the ground up in a logical order. I've been very impressed.

• Like 2

Just note that Videotext Geometry is not "with Trig" like the title in parenthesis at the bottom of the product says. Module F - the loci/constructions & trig part - is still not done. You should just understand what you'll be getting with the geometry package.

We think it's great. We did the Algebra program (covers Alg 1 & 2) in 9th grade and are doing Geometry this year. 

It has video lectures, practice problem sets, quizzes, unit exams and comprehensive exams. There are answer keys for everything. It's very conceptual, building up concepts in a rock-solid way from the ground up in a logical order. I've been very impressed.

FWIW, I have known two families who have used Videotext Algebra. Both ended up dropping it because *for their kid(s),* they needed more practice and review than what VT gave them. So, as with any product, know your kid & their needs!

• Like 2

The Holt series around 2007 (pre-common core) are still cheap on the internet.

Holt Algebra 1: Student Edition 2007  ISBN-10: 0030358272

Holt Geometry: Student Edition 2007 1st  ISBN-10: 0030358280

Geometry 2007 1st Edition Assessment Resources With Answer Key (example)

ISBN-13: 978-0030427480

ISBN-10: 0030427487

Holt Algebra 2: Student Edition 2007  ISBN-10: 0030358299

It is a nice solid program with many problems across the easy to somewhat challenging perspective.

Free videos are out there as well.  This is Dr Burger who also does a lot of the Thinkwell Math.

Currently you could probably get all 3 years used for less than $300 total with some careful shopping.

These are large heavy text books.

You can also still find teacher lesson plans on the internet.

• Like 1