Menu

Saw a sign this morning

creekland

Saw a sign this morning:

"It's not Wanderlust, it's WanderLOVE."

I think I found my people.

Now I'm wondering if I need to change the phrase on my avatar...

I understand there are some humans who don't like to travel.  I even know some of them IRL.  My brain just can't "get" that concept.  ;)

NOTE:  I'm ok with us all being different... but I'm glad my hubby and boys share my love.  Of course, if hubby hadn't, we wouldn't have been married as we spent a good part of our dating days traveling together (from nearby hikes to longer journeys).

• Like 9

Saw a sign this morning:

"It's not Wanderlust, it's WanderLOVE."

I think I found my people.

Now I'm wondering if I need to change the phrase on my avatar...

I understand there are some humans who don't like to travel.  I even know some of them IRL.  My brain just can't "get" that concept.  ;)

NOTE:  I'm ok with us all being different... but I'm glad my hubby and boys share my love.  Of course, if hubby hadn't, we wouldn't have been married as we spent a good part of our dating days traveling together (from nearby hikes to longer journeys).

What are you doing? 

I have always wanted to just get an RV and hit the road. Maybe some day.

What are you doing?

I have always wanted to just get an RV and hit the road. Maybe some day.

Sitting in an airport, about to be above the clouds for 12+ hours and loving every minute of it having already met some new temporary friends.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 5

I feel that.  My biggest focus in life is seeing all the things.  As soon as one trip is over I'm busy planning the next one (or two or three).  Poor dh the tightwad who loves travel but thinks it should be every other year just rolls his eyes and lets me carry on with my plans.  I actually booked a trip to Ireland and Scotland the day I returned from our London and Paris trip.  We are working toward a retirement that includes us living on each continent for 2 years, 9 years to go.  I hate flying, but absolutely everything else about travel I adore: local, stateside, or international.  It's probably the hardest part of being stationed in Hawaii (which I believe we'll be headed back to shortly), there just isn't that far to go.  The east coast, however, has given us quite a few opportunities, our next is Boston and Salem in November.  

Travel makes my soul sing.

• Like 1

I feel that. My biggest focus in life is seeing all the things. As soon as one trip is over I'm busy planning the next one (or two or three). Poor dh the tightwad who loves travel but thinks it should be every other year just rolls his eyes and lets me carry on with my plans. I actually booked a trip to Ireland and Scotland the day I returned from our London and Paris trip. We are working toward a retirement that includes us living on each continent for 2 years, 9 years to go. I hate flying, but absolutely everything else about travel I adore: local, stateside, or international. It's probably the hardest part of being stationed in Hawaii (which I believe we'll be headed back to shortly), there just isn't that far to go. The east coast, however, has given us quite a few opportunities, our next is Boston and Salem in November.

Travel makes my soul sing.

One can easily spend two years exploring all of Hawaii's islands. Lots of hidden gems there.

We are currently in Doha, soon to head to Amman. I'll admit I love flying. Seeing the lights of all the places we went over makes me want to go explore them all to really fill in my mental map.

We have one big beautiful planet waiting to be explored.

I could live on the road. Have backpack and passport and ready to go. I was practically drooling listening to two young men doing just that.

PS I have fallen in love with Qatar Airways... First time we have flown them. It won't be the last!

• Like 4

I don't get excited about long flights but finding some people to chat with sounds nice.

Dh is nervous about planes. He is going to fly on one soon for a work thing. First tijme flying for him as an adult. I'm secretly or not-so-serenely hoping this means flying for us in the future. Or, I dunno, he could hate it lol.

Where ever you are going, I hope you have a great time!

Edited: just saw the post with destination

Edited by heartlikealion

I don't get excited about long flights but finding some people to chat with sounds nice.

Dh is nervous about planes. He is going to fly on one soon for a work thing. First tijme flying for him as an adult. I'm secretly or not-so-serenely hoping this means flying for us in the future. Or, I dunno, he could hate it lol.

Where ever you are going, I hope you have a great time!

Edited: just saw the post with destination

I hope he finds he loves flying. It gives such a great overview of an area to see it from the sky. It all makes more sense seeing it on the ground later, especially since one can only see so much from the ground.

Then too, it just plain opens up the world for exploring. :)

We're having tea now with youngest son.

• Like 1

We like to travel but usually drive and camp. We can't afford too much otherwise.  I'm still hoping to do the RV life some day.

Dh also HATES to fly.  He does it when it's necessary and occasionally has to travel for work - usually to places like China and India so not short trips.  He basically starts drinking the minute he gets to the airport and doesn't stop until he falls asleep on the plane.   I don't mind it so much.  I just read or curl up and sleep (tip:  a hoodie is great for blocking out noise and light.  Just pull the hood up over your head, down over your eyes).

• Like 1

We like to travel but usually drive and camp. We can't afford too much otherwise.  I'm still hoping to do the RV life some day.

We spent many of our trips camping and road tripping.  They have made some awesome memories for all of us!  We also have thought about a small RV (Class B or B+) for our "retirement" days, but hubby prefers a sailboat.

I love to travel. There are so many places I’d love to get to eventually. Health issues keep me from leaving the southeast, though. But I can still dream.... And watch Rick Steves, lol.

I hope your dreams can turn into reality some day.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to continue travel with my health issues.  Chest pains while descending on that 12 1/2 hour flight definitely caught my attention.  I fly on Sudafed (just like I dive with it), and it had worn off - my left ear reminded me about it too late to do anything about it.  Fortunately, Sudafed took care of both on the second flight, so hopefully "whatever" caused the pain was nothing major.  It was extremely obvious it was due to the change in pressure the same way the ear pain is.

Then Amman has hills larger than those I walk at home.  My lungs have reminded me that they are aging too.  They always remind me at home as well, even though it's the same hills every day. (sigh)

Still, as long as I can, I hope to keep enjoying.  When I must stop my brain will have some things to contemplate pretty akin to anyone else deciding to end an addiction I suppose.

I hope you get to enjoy plenty of places in the southeast!

I didn't know lungs could react to pressure. I guess I've never thought about it, tbh. I do hope you'll maybe call your dr and let them know. That sounds scary, creekland. I hope you're able to continue on to many more destinations.

I'd love to go to Petra! Bucket list, for sure!!

Until two days ago I didn't know it either... and it did get me wondering, but walking through the airport didn't make anything worse, so I figured it would be ok (hoped it would?).  It was, and Sudafed stopped a recurrence, so it will still be my cure of choice for flights.  I'll just have to remember to also take on mid flight for these lengthier flights (my previous longest flight was only 9 hours).  My ear will appreciate my remembering it too.

Quite honestly, I don't like many of these newer things that happen, but doctors are far less concerned than the Hive is about them so all should be well.  Everything is supposed to come from stress, radiation, aging, or hormones.  My mind doesn't believe any of those are the cause, but my thoughts don't exactly count.  I don't think it's a typical cardiac issue (nor do they) as there would be more problems with my typical activity level, but couch potatoes have fewer breathing issues walking the minor hills than I do and something seems incredibly wrong about that.  Such is life.

Travel is at least a super good distraction for the mind.  We were walking around Amman this evening.  I love exploring new places.  Everyone thinks the Middle East is incredibly dangerous.  We've never felt in danger and everyone so far has been super nice (even when we're not spending money with them!).  More folks need to travel to see what life is really like vs what we see in the media.  Lunatics can be anywhere, but lunatics are rarely the majority.  Our hosts have apologized to us that ISIS exists (though they don't call them ISIS).  We've apologized to them regarding some American views.  All is well among just us "plain humans."  That's the way it should be - everywhere.

• Like 1