Menu

Affordable slipcovered sofa options?

foxbridgeacademy

We're moving to an apartment shortly after the new year.  We don't need all this space any longer and it will save us a ton of money.  The apartment is small, just over 1300 square feet and my sectional won't fit, plus it's starting to look tired and I want something new.  

I'm leaning toward the practicality of a slipcovered sofa.  We have a dog, and cat who has claws (so no leather) and while neither are allowed on the furniture  it is still covered in animal hair.

I know about Ikea, of course.  The Ektorp is an amazing price but I don't like the style, I do like the style of the Brathult but the low price worries me.  I can't go to an actual Ikea, the nearest one is about 4 hours away so I'd have to order without testing it out.  

Are there any other smallish to medium sized slipcovered sofas in the under $700 ballpark? I'm SE of Nashville.  I've looked at Ashley, Havertys, Rooms to Go, and some other small places.  They either don't carry them or they are over-budget.

I've read all the reviews here and I'm feeling better about the Ektorp's durability and comfort, I'm just having trouble getting past those arms.

I have a leather chair from Ikea. It looks brand new 18 years later. My dog has perpetually long claws and he's never scratched it. It also doesn't hold hair like my other furniture. I kind of wish I'd gotten the couch to match it.

I'm not averse to leather, in fact I love it, but DD and DH would refuse to sit on it, animal production being bad for the environment (DH) and you know animals died (DD) also my 20 year old would probably refuse to visit, being a member of PETA.  I don't think I can feasibly get a sofa only 1/2 the family would be willing to sit on (and DS is a bit iffy too).  Fabric is a must, wash-ability is because of allergies and the fact that I hate animal hair (I've decreed all future pets will be hairless).

ETA but really good to know IKEA holds up that long

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

Do you mind buying gently used? There is a store called Finder's Keepers, they only have 1 store now in Brentwood. We bought our furniture there for years. All of it is still in good shape. I know Sears outlet will usually have furniture as well.

I'll look into it but yeah I usually stay away from used "soft" furniture since bedbugs have become an issue.  We've never had them but we also can not afford to have them, cost of treatment can be expensive.  I didn't even think about Sears, Thanks!

How about the depth of the Ektorp? Everything I read comments that it's somewhat shallow. We're not tall but we like to lounge and stretch out.

We have an Ektorp corner sofa and a loveseat. The depth is just fine, and they have stood up to two boys and two dogs for 9 years now. The covers are easy to wash, too. I'm assuming that the length of one section of our corner couch would be equivalent to the length of the couch. My 6'4" husband can stretch out just fine on one section.

Edited by Homebody2

Have you seen Ikea's Färlöv sofa? The arms are much more modern and the seat is a lot deeper (like 25" vs 19"). I don't like the beige cover much, but it looks great in white and charcoal gray. It's $699.

I was also going to rec the Farlov. I'm tall and find the Ektorp very comfy, but I also have a Farlov armchair in the master and it's quite deep. The slipcover is textured though- I think it's fine but I know some people find it a little scratchy. You could always order the slipcover first online if you're interested.

Thanks everyone. I have seen the farlov and it is much closer to the look I prefer but it is at the top of the price range so getting a different cover would be out of the question for now.  My main concern was not being able to test it out, I'm not the kind of person who just "wings" it.  So I did a search on ikea and Nashville, thinking I might find a used sofa I could go sit on.... instead I found a place that sells new ikea merchandise and had the ektorp and a couple others (not the farlov) in their showroom.  I made DH drive me up there and all 3 of the sofas were comfortable enough for me!  I'm going to assume if 3/3 were fine then whichever I choose will be fine too.  Big weight off my mind and will make moving much easier.