Menu

What could be causing itching

Elizabeth86

My son has an itchy bottom and privates. I think it is because he wets at night and wears a night diaper. So what to try

A barrier type thing like vaseline

Something like hydrocortisone

A antifungal cream

Powder

Im not sure. Its pretty itchy and his birthday is tomorrow and I would love for it to be on the mend at least. Any quick tips?

My son has an itchy bottom and privates. I think it is because he wets at night and wears a night diaper. So what to try

A barrier type thing like vaseline

Something like hydrocortisone

A antifungal cream

Powder

Im not sure. Its pretty itchy and his birthday is tomorrow and I would love for it to be on the mend at least. Any quick tips?

For a quick help, you can mix a bit of hydrocortisone and antifungal cream ( one that says for jock itch) together and apply, then apply a zinc oxide based diaper rash cream on top. The antifungal use every day for a week, but only use the cortisone a few times and just a thin coating. Happy Birthday Boy! :)
  • Like 1

Could yogurt help?

most commercial yogurt is loaded with sugar - which defeats the purpose. (I only eat greek yogurt with no added sugars/sweeteners)  adding yogurt to his diet will help in future.  reducing sugar, and carbs which convert to sugar will help.

for now, get an antifungal ointment and put it on his bottom until he is totally cleared up.  not just no bumps, but no more itching.

Not to be gross but it could be rectal strep.  This happened to us before, we thought it was fungal, and it ended up being strep. It might be worth having a quick strep test done, especially if someone you know has had strep recently.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0115/p391.html

http://informedparent.com/articles/view/what-a-strange-place-for-strep

Edited by cintinative