Menu

Math facts fluency

Earthmerlin

I'm looking for quasi-interesting ways to have a 3rd grader rote practice math facts (addition, subtraction & multiplication). We already have lots of math-based board & card games and several iPad apps and we talk ad nauseum about math as well. I'm looking for perhaps paper-based (or maybe flashcards?) ways to systematically practice facts for short periods of time (5 minutes max). I hope this makes sense but I need more in my repertoire. Thanks!

Have you seen the triangle flash cards?  They help children learn facts as a "family".  A multiplication card might look like:

5              2

You can cover up any of the numbers, depending on what you're working on.  Cover the 10 to practice multiplication facts, cover one of the bottom numbers to work on a division fact.  

My other suggestion is not not rote memorize if possible.  

For multiplication, work on doubles (x2).  Once those are mastered well (memorized, essentially), then work on doubling the doubles (x4).  So rather than having the child memorize that 7x4=28, have them go through the mental process of double 7 (14), double the double --> 28.  

Then do the 8s table in a similar way (double the double of the double)

x3 needs to be essentially memorized, then x6 is double x3.  

x5 is half of x10

x9 I teach the nines trick (go down a number, then digit sum of 9)  You can also use x10 then subtract the extra copy of the number.  

After the student can quickly do these calculations, the only one to memorize is 7x7.  

Honestly, I'd rather my kids be quick calculators.  

For adding, I'd worry about knowing facts to 10, then for all else, I'd teach to break numbers up so that they can make 10s.  So, 7+5 should be treated as 7+3+2 -->12.  I would not have them memorize 7+5.  

I hope some of those ideas help.

• Like 1

Have you seen the triangle flash cards? They help children learn facts as a "family". A multiplication card might look like:

5 2

You can cover up any of the numbers, depending on what you're working on. Cover the 10 to practice multiplication facts, cover one of the bottom numbers to work on a division fact.

For multiplication, work on doubles (x2). Once those are mastered well (memorized, essentially), then work on doubling the doubles (x4). So rather than having the child memorize that 7x4=28, have them go through the mental process of double 7 (14), double the double --> 28.

x5 is half of x10

x9 I teach the nines trick (go down a number, then digit sum of 9) You can also use x10 then subtract the extra copy of the number.

After the student can quickly do these calculations, the only one to memorize is 7x7.

For adding, I'd worry about knowing facts to 10, then for all else, I'd teach to break numbers up so that they can make 10s. So, 7+5 should be treated as 7+3+2 -->12. I would not have them memorize 7+5.

Thanks for these! Can you explain the 9x trick a bit more? Perhaps with an example? I only know the finger trick with 9x table.

We do tons of mathy things at home. Memorizing is just one thing I'd like to (continue to) add. I do believe it's important to have certain basic math facts memorized.

I just thought of adapting concentration/memory. The expression on one card & solution on another.

I kind of think of memorizing facts like memorizing poems or whatnot. I think it's time she learns (expands upon) that memorizing skill. With math, I just want it low-key and mostly fun. Both her & I are math lovers so we experience math in all sorts of ways. I think memorizing facts will help round out her math education. It will also lighten the cognitive burden to do more complicated math tasks. Last year, while teaching 6th graders, I was shocked at the number of kids who still hadn't mastered their arithmetic. I am determined that NOT happen with my kiddo. Edited by Earthmerlin

Have you seen the triangle flash cards? They help children learn facts as a "family". A multiplication card might look like:

5 2

You can cover up any of the numbers, depending on what you're working on. Cover the 10 to practice multiplication facts, cover one of the bottom numbers to work on a division fact.

For multiplication, work on doubles (x2). Once those are mastered well (memorized, essentially), then work on doubling the doubles (x4). So rather than having the child memorize that 7x4=28, have them go through the mental process of double 7 (14), double the double --> 28.

x5 is half of x10

x9 I teach the nines trick (go down a number, then digit sum of 9) You can also use x10 then subtract the extra copy of the number.

For adding, I'd worry about knowing facts to 10, then for all else, I'd teach to break numbers up so that they can make 10s. So, 7+5 should be treated as 7+3+2 -->12. I would not have them memorize 7+5.

Where did you pick up these ideas & tricks? Is there a book or website with furher ones? Me likey!!!

I love some of the ideas above. One other suggestion is to teach skip-counting songs. My 3rd grader is very stressed out by any timed fact drill, but if I allow her to (very quickly under her breath) sing the skip counting songs she has memorized, she can derive any multiplication fact. She doesn't have the facts 'memorized' pervse, that will likely come in time with repeated use, but she can come up with them accurately and quickly. Works for me.

For addition and subtraction facts, we never really had to memorize because she was so comfortable with subitization after working through the Right Start math workbook that comes included with their abacus. Once again, she can derive them so quickly that memorization is unnecessary.

I will probably still buy Kate Snow's Multiplication Facts That Stick book next year when it is published just because I'm such a fan of her work and because her addition/subtraction books are so fun and effective.

• Like 1

I like 5 times 5 is not. 10 for systematic practice. It builds in a logical order. You can point to the problem on the page rather than holding up a card so it can still be done quickly orally. The benefit over flashcards is the systematic build up. Master each page before going to the next. I think Kate's books look awesome for addition and subtraction, but we haven't used them since I already had other stuff when they came out.

I love some of the ideas above. One other suggestion is to teach skip-counting songs. My 3rd grader is very stressed out by any timed fact drill, but if I allow her to (very quickly under her breath) sing the skip counting songs she has memorized, she can derive any multiplication fact. She doesn't have the facts 'memorized' pervse, that will likely come in time with repeated use, but she can come up with them accurately and quickly. Works for me.

For addition and subtraction facts, we never really had to memorize because she was so comfortable with subitization after working through the Right Start math workbook that comes included with their abacus. Once again, she can derive them so quickly that memorization is unnecessary.

I will probably still buy Kate Snow's Multiplication Facts That Stick book next year when it is published just because I'm such a fan of her work and because her addition/subtraction books are so fun and effective.

Where did you find these skip counting songs? Thanks for head's up on that author's books too!

Thanks for these! Can you explain the 9x trick a bit more? Perhaps with an example? I only know the finger trick with 9x table.

Sure. Basically, it looks like this:

9 x 4 --> go down one from 4, thats three. Three and what make 9? Six. Three six, thirty-six!

Alternately, 9x4 is 10x4 minus the extra 4, so 40-4 .

I've learned this in bits and pieces over the last few years. Best materials for teaching me to teach have been:

Educationunboxed.com

Rightstart math level B (didn't like using the material itself because I don't like spiral programs, but it sure taught me how to present concepts well!)

Singapore math HIGs

We love cuisinaire rods here, and learning to use them well has really helped me as a math teacher.

• Like 1

The 60 second sweep for multiplication. There is an online challenge to try to work up to all facts in 60 seconds, we always worked offline first to build up to the challenge. I worked a few rows at a time with my kids until they could do the whole thing.

You say “two threes†for the answer 6 so you can say say them faster.

http://alonganderson.blogspot.com/2013/03/math-activity-sixty-second-sweep.html

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/13520291/

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

Where did you find these skip counting songs? Thanks for head's up on that author's books too!

Classical Conversations has skip counting songs on their audio memorywork CD's (those are the songs this child knows). My older two girls learned Math-U-See songs. I believe they sell a separate CD of songs (apart from any of their other curriculum). Sorry, I'm on my phone at an appointment or I would provide links.

• Like 1

The 60 second sweep for multiplication. There is an online challenge to try to work up to all facts in 60 seconds, we always worked offline first to build up to the challenge. I worked a few rows at a time with my kids until they could do the whole thing.

You say “two threes†for the answer 6 so you can say say them faster.

http://alonganderson.blogspot.com/2013/03/math-activity-sixty-second-sweep.html

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/13520291/

This is brilliant!  It sucked me in last night, and then my kid wandered over and got interested as well.  We've printed out the picture to practice each day and take the online test when he feels ready.

• Like 1

This is brilliant! It sucked me in last night, and then my kid wandered over and got interested as well. We've printed out the picture to practice each day and take the online test when he feels ready.

Yes, it is best to practice offline first. And, even if you are fast offline, the pressure of the little countdown and finding the numbers can get to you. I tried it a few times and froze up on 32 or an easy fact like that, my kids were watching, they laughed at me then told me the answer.

I wish there was a version where you got to answer them all and it tracked and charted your improvement in facts per second, that would be very motivational!!

I did not know she was coming out with a multiplication version. I loved the Addition and Subtraction Facts that Stick books. It really gave my youngest a solid understanding amd the ability to visualize the problems.

I used the method shown in Education Unboxed of using Cuisenaire rods and having the child splitting them up in a way that helps them solve it faster. We watch the video and then we play something like math war to have problems to practice keeping the rods available until they do not need them. At first we use the rods then they do them without. If they get something wrong after not using rods I bust them back out. I need to figure out a game for division problems

• Like 1