Menu

Need AP Bio help

My DD17 is taking AP Bio at her PS. The teacher is a newly-minted educator who is very well-meaning, but has NO idea what he's doing. I'm really disappointed, as she could/would otherwise do very well in the class/AP exam and potentially earn credit for it. 

Can anyone suggest a way she can self-teach this material outside of school? A video course or something else self-paced as she definitely doesn't have time for a live class. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

What textbook is she using for class?  The Campbell and Reece Biology one is very good prep.  She can find reading questions for each chapter here at this link. Working through the text with these reading questions will go a long way. 

Another good resource are the Bozeman AP biology videos here.  Sometimes it helps to see someone explain concepts, and Mr. Andersen is good at it.

The best test prep book is Preparing for the AP Biology Exam School Edition.  It really prepares the students for the redesigned test.  It is aligned with Campbell and Reece, but you could certainly use it with other textbooks. My review is the first one, so you can see what I said about it on amazon! 

• Like 4

Yes, read and work through a prep book is what the students here do. 

Also, consider dropping the class if the science credit is not needed.  No need to take a low grade along with teaching herrself. Use that period for self teaching. She doesn't have to be enrolled in the class to take the AP exam at her school, but she does have to sign up for the exam with guidance by the deadline if she goes that route.

The Bozeman video recommendation above is very good. Here are some other options. Good to sample each as some students prefer one over the other.

Edited by 3andme
  • Like 2

Another good resource are the Bozeman AP biology videos here.  Sometimes it helps to see someone explain concepts, and Mr. Andersen is good at it.

The best test prep book is Preparing for the AP Biology Exam School Edition.  It really prepares the students for the redesigned test.  It is aligned with Campbell and Reece, but you could certainly use it with other textbooks. My review is the first one, so you can see what I said about it on amazon! 

Agree that Bozeman videos are helpful.

Dd raves about the prep book bolded above.  

• Like 1