Menu

Under "Things For Which I'm Tired Of Trying To Be Thankful"

Carrie12345

Paying about $1200/mo. for health insurance so I can pay $156 to use health insurance.  Oh, and still having no idea what the actual facility bill and doctor's bill will be. That was just the up front co-pay and meds for dd's bronchitis.

I know I'm supposed to be "grateful" to be able to get my kid treatment and still afford food this week, but COME ON! What kind of standard is that, when you think about it?!?

• Like 9

That you have it all.

I haven't been satisfied or happy with our insurance sometimes because of how much it costs and how much a deductible costs and how much each person has to accrue to apply towards it and how much this and that and this...yeah.

If this is JAWM, I agree. For instance, a few years ago I had a condition which I thought was X and went to the doctor for it with insurance. He examined me and said I was probably right, it was probably X. He suggested a scan for which I would have to fork out $500 because of the deductible, which I didn't have on credit card, couldn't afford any extra payments anywhere and definitely didn't have in my fast cash envelope for emergencies.

Fast forward two years and it was J. (These are just random letters, they don't represent a specific illness/condition). I had to be admitted to the hospital from ER for surgery. It wasn't EVEN X. 

Yes. I agree. Our deductible is so high that I like to say we "pay for the privilege of no insurance". Because they cover nothing until that deductible is met. Since it is so high it would take an almost catastrophic illness to meet it, then they will only pay 80%. Believe me, I am extremely grateful we are healthy enough that we don't meet it, but....well.....crap! It shouldn't be this way. While I have never been one to run to the dr, I think even harder about going due to the exorbitant costs.

I have to have diagnostic mammograms every 6 months to monitor a spot that hasn't changed at all in a year. Insurance pays nothing. When I go in January I plan to have a heart to heart with the radiologist about the true need to keep this up every 6 months. It is so expensive and I can't keep affording it. Oh, and since my yearly mammo is due in January they plan to do diagnostic on BOTH breasts. Insurance would pay for the regular mammo, but won't pay for this one. Sigh.......

Sorry for hijacking your post OP. Frustration with health insurance runs very very high.

Don't be sorry.

Almost a year ago, dh had to have tons of testing because the "best" test would be the most risky and odds didn't warrant it. But it meant many MORE tests. And he still has to follow up in January. I need to run the numbers to see if I should ask to push it up to this calendar year or if it won't matter, financially. :-/

• Like 1

One thing I am VERY thankful for is the healthcare we have here in NZ.  I went to the drs this week & it cost me $18 for the appointment & $5 each for the two prescriptions I needed.  Total cost = $28.  No health insurance needed & my taxes are not any higher than if I lived back in VT.  Yes we pay $6 for a block of butter & almost $2 for a litre of gas, but at least I can get medical care without worrying if I can afford it.

• Like 6

One thing I am VERY thankful for is the healthcare we have here in NZ. I went to the drs this week & it cost me $18 for the appointment & $5 each for the two prescriptions I needed. Total cost = $28. No health insurance needed & my taxes are not any higher than if I lived back in VT. Yes we pay $6 for a block of butter & almost $2 for a litre of gas, but at least I can get medical care without worrying if I can afford it.

You must go to one of the places that gets extra funding (we have one but they aren't taking patients) mine is $46 a visit. But all the same it is a long way fromm $1200 a month and I am so glad my kids are both free again.

One thing I am VERY thankful for is the healthcare we have here in NZ.  I went to the drs this week & it cost me $18 for the appointment & $5 each for the two prescriptions I needed.  Total cost = $28.  No health insurance needed & my taxes are not any higher than if I lived back in VT.  Yes we pay $6 for a block of butter & almost $2 for a litre of gas, but at least I can get medical care without worrying if I can afford it.

We moved back to the US from NZ in 2005 because of the high cost of living in NZ - we were tired of being so poor! Then health insurance costs in the US sky-rocketed and completely erased any benefits of lower living expenses. We may as well have just stayed in NZ. Actually we probably will move back there in a few years.

We moved back to the US from NZ in 2005 because of the high cost of living in NZ - we were tired of being so poor! Then health insurance costs in the US sky-rocketed and completely erased any benefits of lower living expenses. We may as well have just stayed in NZ. Actually we probably will move back there in a few years.

Yeah I get the impression that even our cheaper areas would be considered fairly high cost over there. Our low end wages are higher but middle and high end aren't.

You must go to one of the places that gets extra funding (we have one but they aren't taking patients) mine is $46 a visit. But all the same it is a long way fromm $1200 a month and I am so glad my kids are both free again.

I'm in Northland & I think this price is pretty consistent in my area.