Menu

Do you recommend the TG with 1st grade Horizons math?

StaceyinLA

My daughter did Horizon grade 1 last year and I found the teaching manual to be useless to be honest. It doesn't really tell you how to reach a concept it just says "teach x" basically. I stopped using it about half way through the first book. First grade math is pretty easy to teach so it really isn't necessary if you are good at pulling out manipulatives and filling in gaps when needed. My daughter breezed through all of grade 1 and then went on and did Singspore 1B after that.

• Like 2

I own it. I may have used some extra practice pages from it for the first time I used Horizons 1. DS/7 (the "baby") is using it now and I never took the TM out of the closet.

Fwiw, I haven't paid more than $10 for any of my Horizons TMs, from used book sites. Even if it has the old cover it still works.

• Like 1

My daughter did Horizon grade 1 last year and I found the teaching manual to be useless to be honest. It doesn't really tell you how to reach a concept it just says "teach x" basically. I stopped using it about half way through the first book. First grade math is pretty easy to teach so it really isn't necessary if you are good at pulling out manipulatives and filling in gaps when needed. My daughter breezed through all of grade 1 and then went on and did Singspore 1B after that.

I agree, I really didn't find the TM's helpful until it was faster for me to go get the TM for the solutions than for me to work all of the problems myself.

The worksheets really don't include any instruction in levels 1-3 (in levels 4-6, there are instructions written to the student--usually half a page to a page). I always worked a first problem on the page to give my kids a visual example. 

The TM will have you work on a concept before it comes up in the worksheets (for example, before skip-counting comes up on a worksheet, the student will practice that orally). So, if you don't have the TM, occasionally a topic on a worksheet might be a surprise and seem like it's a lot to expect.

Other than that though, I mainly found that the TM's didn't really tell me how to teach the worksheets. It seemed like the focus was on extra/supplemental activities. I didn't find them at all intuitive! But they're nice for an answer key in the upper levels.