Menu

Off to the Eclipse

creekland

Wishing everyone going clear skies, safe travels, and fun, rewarding times!

So far, we're having a blast, though admittedly, that's been playing games and general visiting with oldest son and his wife. Learned to play Terraforming Mars. Fun game!

Still... Looking forward to today!

• Like 7

We did the bulk of our driving yesterday with an hour left this morning. We are enjoying the luxury of hanging out at a hotel for another hour before we go. We don't have cable, a pool, or an all-you-can-eat, no need to do dishes breakfast buffet at home. (Grin) Actually, staying at the hotel was my backup "wasn't the eclipse fun!" plan in case the weather was bad.

I'm planning on sun, I wouldn't let my kids pack long pants, long shirt our raincoats - bad karma! The weather report is finally responding to my positive thoughts and showing sunny/partly cloudy all afternoon, yay!

Yesterday I made a solar viewer that uses a 3-foot cardboard box and the lens from a pair of Dollar Store reading glasses.

Sorry to gush, dh is tired of hearing about it since he has to work.

We're at Clemson. Clear skies, no traffic issues getting here - not even any slowdowns the route we took! Getting ready to play games and wait for the moon. Doubt I'll be on here again until much later TBH, so have fun everyone!

New 4 in Washington has a reporter at Clemson.  Wave! :seeya:

Folks, that was AWESOME!  The sun disappeared and we saw the huge corona with our glasses off for a good minute and a half. Tried to look at stars but just wanted to see the sun (I see stars every night!).  Tthen the diamond started to peek out, got bigger and then we put the glasses on.  Totality rocks!  So worth the trip.  So, so glad we came.  

Edited by milovany
  • Like 10

Folks, that was AWESOME! The sun disappeared and we saw the huge corona with our glasses off for a good minute and a half. Tried to look at stars but just wanted to see the sun (I see stars every night!). Tthen the diamond started to peek out, got bigger and then we put the glasses on. Totality rocks! So worth the trip. So, so glad we came.

Ditto! So awesome, so worth it. Finances permitting, we'll be going to totality in 2024. Absolutely no regrets at being here, and tons of thankfulness to Clemson and clear skies!!!

• Like 1

Ditto! So awesome, so worth it. Finances permitting, we'll be going to totality in 2024. Absolutely no regrets at being here, and tons of thankfulness to Clemson and clear skies!!!

We were at 65% at home with my son and daughter.

Son tried several different things to see the sun -- only the eclipse glasses work. But he's all excited to learn there is another in 7 years and wants to try to be there for it!

• Like 1

I blew getting glasses for what we could see. Ds scheduled a hair cut and a dr's appt near the prime viewing. We walked out of the hair cut place and folks at the biz next door were looking up and offered us a peak through their glasses. SO COOL!

DD watched online and on the NASA channel at home. 

I might travel for totality in 2024!

• Like 1