Menu

Do you share the marking rubric with your child before they start an assignment?

I don't use a rubric. We sit together when I am pointing out where edits need to be made, and we talk about it. They then rewrite accordingly (Only during the last high school years, DS preferred me to just mark his paper and did not want the discussion. I respected that)

I don't mark or grade writing assignments. But I absolutely think the student needs to know what the expectations are, so if you use a rubric, they should kow.

ETA: Especially with younger kids, I picked certain aspects to work on, and we would only edit until that aspect was mastered. They did not produce "perfect" papers; they achieved the goal I had set. I found that it was more beneficial to do it this way and let a paper be good enough after the goal had been accomplished, instead of trying to address all possible improvements in the same assignment.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

i came back to say that you should definitely let them know what the expectations will be. our initial lesson of any new thing is generally just going over expectations, both those put forth by the program, and my own. I'm not sure you mean by rubric, I have not used that program, and I generally don't use formal marking. They may not need to understand weighted averages or whatever, but they should at least know that they are being graded and how to score well. 

• Like 1

We're most of the way through WWS1 and was wondering if there was any good reason not to share the rubric with my dc before they start writing the assignments. Thoughts?

Normally, rubrics are used transparently & guide student production so they can knowingly gauge their work.

• Like 3

I don't use that program, and our writing "class" looks a lot like was described by other posters. But I've used a rubric for other subject, and yes - I go over it with the students at the same time I give them the assignment. I think it's fair. I don't want them to waste time going in a completely off direction from what I'm envisioning. The only example I can think of is a project I gave for government. I broke down what content I was expecting to see covered, what output I was looking for, and how I'd be gauging that output. 

So I vote for you to continue showing him the rubric. :) The only reason I might take that away is if his writing is become formulaic, or he's fixating on the rubric (and thus not getting out of the assignment, whatever else he is meant to). That's a personality thing, I think, because I have one child who gets lost in the requirements and the anxiety interferes with the actual point of the lesson or assignment. 

I don't think there is anything at all wrong with showing the student, but I used WWS and found that everything in the rubric was pretty much spelled out in the instructions for the assignment. The more basic things noted for every assignment, like grammatical and mechanical requirements, are things that are already understood to be expected for my kids. But it certainly doesn't hurt to see them listed out as a reminder.

I usually think of a rubric more like a list showing that if you meet these requirements, your grade will be an A, if you do this and make these mistakes it will be a B, C, etc. WWS is more like a mastery rubric for the assignment, not a grading rubric.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 3